R&D and productivity: the unfinished business
Recent work on the relationship of productivity growth to expenditures on R&D is discussed with special reference to "unfinished business": unsolved conceptual and econometric problems. The standard "R&D as a capital" model raises a number of difficult conceptual issues, especially the meaning and measurement of the depreciation of "knowledge" and of the associated economic rents created by it. In addition, empirical implementations of this model have to struggle with the possibility of simultaneity and reverse causality and the implication of imperfect markets for knowledge-based products. An empirical example of some of these issues is presented using data from a panel of U.S. R&D -performing firms, showing both the difficulties alluded to above and evidence for the continued importance of the R&D process for the growth of productivity.
Volume (Year): 25 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 Year 1998 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.econ.uchile.cl/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charles F. Manski, 1993.
"Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: The Reflection Problem,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 60(3), pages 531-542.
- Manski, C.F., 1991. "Identification of Endogenous Social Effects: the Reflection Problem," Working papers 9127, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Huffman, Wallace E. & Evenson, Robert E., 2006.
"Science for Agriculture: A Long Term Perspective,"
Staff General Research Papers Archive
12362, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Yair Mundlak, 1961. "Empirical Production Function Free of Management Bias," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 43(1), pages 44-56.
- Tor Jakob Klette, 1994. "R&D, Scope Economies and Company Structure: A "Not-so-Fixed Effect" Model of Plant Performance," Discussion Papers 120, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Bronwyn Hall & Fumio Hayashi, 1989.
"Research and Development As An Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
2973, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Bronwyn H. & Hayashi, Fumio, 1989. "Research and Development as an Investment," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt8br8d266, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Bronwyn H. Hall and Fumio Hayashi., 1989. "Research and Development as an Investment," Economics Working Papers 89-108, University of California at Berkeley.
- Zvi Griliches, 1958. "Research Costs and Social Returns: Hybrid Corn and Related Innovations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 66, pages 419-419.
- Griliches, Zvi & Regev, Haim, 1995. "Firm productivity in Israeli industry 1979-1988," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 175-203, January.
- Jones, Charles I, 1995. "R&D-Based Models of Economic Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(4), pages 759-784, August.
- Klette, T.J., 1992.
"The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators when Output Prices are unobserved and Endogenous,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1586, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Klette, Tor Jakob & Griliches, Zvi, 1996. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Endogenous," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(4), pages 343-361, July-Aug..
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1992. "The Inconsistency of Common Scale Estimators When Output Prices Are Unobserved and Engogenous," NBER Working Papers 4026, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tor Jakob Klette & Zvi Griliches, 1994. "The Inconsistency of Common Scales Estimators when Output Prices are Unobserved and Endogenous," Discussion Papers 127, Statistics Norway, Research Department.
- Jacques Mairesse & Mohamed Sassenou, 1991. "R&D Productivity: A Survey of Econometric Studies at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 3666, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall, 1993. "The Value and Performance of U.S. Corporations," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 24(1), pages 1-50.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:udc:esteco:v:25:y:1998:i:2:p:145-160. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Verónica Kunze)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.