A Reexamination of the Strategic Bequest Motive
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Cox, Donald & Rank, Mark R, 1992. "Inter-vivos Transfers and Intergenerational Exchange," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 74(2), pages 305-314, May.
- Tomes, Nigel, 1981. "The Family, Inheritance, and the Intergenerational Transmission of Inequality," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(5), pages 928-958, October.
- Hurd, Michael D, 1989. "Mortality Risk and Bequests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(4), pages 779-813, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Arrondel, Luc & Masson, Andre, 2001. " Family Transfers Involving Three Generations," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(3), pages 415-443, September.
- Sanna Nivakoski, 2015. "The Exchange Motive in Intergenerational Transfers," Working Papers 201510, Geary Institute, University College Dublin.
- Marta Melguizo Garde, 2007. "La motivación de las transmisiones lucrativas entre generaciones de una familia: modelos teóricos y evidencia empírica," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 181(2), pages 81-118, June.
- Smetters, Kent, 1999. "Ricardian equivalence: long-run Leviathan," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(3), pages 395-421, September.
- Meliyanni Johar & Shiko Maruyama & Sayaka Nakamura, 2015. "Reciprocity in the Formation of Intergenerational Coresidence," Journal of Family and Economic Issues, Springer, vol. 36(2), pages 192-209, June.
- repec:uwp:jhriss:v:52:y:2017:i:2:p:531-572 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oded Stark & Anna Nicinska, 2015.
"How Inheriting Affects Bequest Plans,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 82, pages 1126-1152, December.
- Stark, Oded & Nicinska, Anna, 2015. "How inheriting affects bequest plans," Discussion Papers 212931, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Stark, Oded & Nicinska, Anna, 2015. "How inheriting affects bequest plans," University of Tuebingen Working Papers in Economics and Finance 86, University of Tuebingen, Faculty of Economics and Social Sciences.
- Stark, Oded & Nicinska, Anna, 2015. "How inheriting affects bequest plans," Discussion Papers 208141, University of Bonn, Center for Development Research (ZEF).
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Emin Gahramanov & Aziz Hayat & Xueli Tang, 2016.
"Why Do Children Take Care of Their Elderly Parents? Are the Japanese Any Different?,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0970, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Horioka, Charles Yuji & Gahramanov, Emin & Hayat, Aziz & Tang, Xueli, 2016. "Why Do Children Take Care of Their Elderly Parents? Are the Japanese Any Different?," AGI Working Paper Series 2016-11, Asian Growth Research Institute.
- Charles Yuji Horioka & Emin Gahramanov & Aziz Hayat & Xueli Tang, 2016. "Why Do Children Take Care of Their Elderly Parents? Are the Japanese Any Different?," NBER Working Papers 22245, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mizuki Komura & Hikaru Ogawa, 2017.
"The prodigal son: does the younger brother always care for his parentsin old age?,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 49(22), pages 2153-2165, May.
- KOMURA Mizuki & OGAWA Hikaru, 2015. "The Prodigal Son: Does the younger brother always care for his parents in old age?," Discussion papers 15062, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Komura, Mizuki & Ogawa, Hikaru, 2016. "The Prodigal Son: Does the Younger Brother Always Care for His Parents in Old Age?," IZA Discussion Papers 9732, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Jeffrey R. Brown & Courtney C. Coile & Scott J. Weisbenner, 2010. "The Effect of Inheritance Receipt on Retirement," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 92(2), pages 425-434, May.
- Laura de Pablos Escobar, 2009. "Alternativas a la supresión del impuesto sobre el patrimonio," Documentos de trabajo de la Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales 09-06, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Max Groneck & Frederic Krehl, 2014. "Bequests and Informal Long-Term Care: Evidence from the HRS Exit Interviews," Working Paper Series in Economics 79, University of Cologne, Department of Economics.
- Charles Horioka, 2014.
"Are Americans and Indians more altruistic than the Japanese and Chinese? Evidence from a new international survey of bequest plans,"
Review of Economics of the Household,
Springer, vol. 12(3), pages 411-437, September.
- Charles Yuji Horioka, 2014. "Are Americans and Indians More Altruistic than the Japanese and Chinese? Evidence from a New International Survey of Bequest Plans," ISER Discussion Paper 0901, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Charles Yuji Horioka, 2014. "Are Americans and Indians More Altruistic than the Japanese and Chinese? Evidence from a New International Survey of Bequest Plans," NBER Working Papers 20158, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael T. Gapen & Thomas F. Cosimano & Ralph Chami, 2006. "Beware of Emigrants Bearing Gifts; Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in the Presence of Remittances," IMF Working Papers 06/61, International Monetary Fund.
- de la Briere, Benedicte & Sadoulet, Elisabeth & de Janvry, Alain & Lambert, Sylvie, 2002. "The roles of destination, gender, and household composition in explaining remittances: an analysis for the Dominican Sierra," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 309-328, August.
- Frankel, David M., 2007. "How Does Family Structure Affect Children's Outcomes? Evidence from the Civil War," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12819, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Stohr, Tobias, 2013. "Intra-family migration decisions and elderly left behind," Kiel Working Papers 1858, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Tobias Stöhr, 2015. "Siblings’ interaction in migration decisions: who provides for the elderly left behind?," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 28(3), pages 593-629, July.
More about this item
ListsThis item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- A Reexamination of the Strategic Bequest Motive (JPE 1998) in ReplicationWiki
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jpolec:v:106:y:1998:i:2:p:423-445. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division). General contact details of provider: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/ .