The Production of Human Capital and the Life Cycle of Earnings: Variations on a Theme
In this work, the author enquires into the empirical validity and some implications of Yoram Ben-Porath's insights. Section 2 answers the question of whether there are the shapes and magnitudes of growth in wage profiles largely attributable to human capital investments. Section 3 tests the proposition that over the working age capacity wages decline before observed wages do. Implied timing of labor supply provides the test. In Section 4, implications are drawn from Ben-Porath's model for interpersonal differences and for the correlation between schooling and training. Copyright 1997 by University of Chicago Press.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Juhn, Chinhui & Murphy, Kevin M & Pierce, Brooks, 1993. "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(3), pages 410-42, June.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1979. "Why Is There Mandatory Retirement?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(6), pages 1261-84, December.
- Jacob Mincer, 1986. "Wage Changes in Job Changes," NBER Working Papers 1907, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sander, William & Krautmann, Anthony C, 1995. "Catholic Schools, Dropout Rates and Educational Attainment," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 33(2), pages 217-33, April.
- Steven G. Allen, 1996.
"Technology and the Wage Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
5534, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joanne Salop & Steven C. Salop, 1976. "Self-selection and turnover in the labor market," Special Studies Papers 80, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Alan S. Blinder & Yoram Weiss, 1974.
"Human Capital and Labor Supply: A Synthesis,"
435, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1979.
"Job Matching and the Theory of Turnover,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 87(5), pages 972-90, October.
- Yoram Ben-Porath, 1967. "The Production of Human Capital and the Life Cycle of Earnings," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 352.
- Harvey S. Rosen, 1981.
"Taxation and On-the-job Training Decisions,"
NBER Working Papers
0733, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joanne Salop & Steven Salop, 1976. "Self-Selection and Turnover in the Labor Market," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(4), pages 619-627.
- Stafford, Frank & Duncan, Greg J., 1979. "The Use of Time and Technology by Households in the United States," Working Paper Series 21, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ucp:jlabec:v:15:y:1997:i:1:p:s26-47. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.