Technical progress in Joan Robinson's view: an attempt at systematisation and formalisation
This paper deals with Joan Robinson's contributions to the issue of technical progress and her attempts at treating this subject in accordance with the Keynesian theory of employment and income distribution, mainly in the long run. The paper aims to review this aspect of her work and to establish a systematisation and a formalisation of her approach. At the same time, the paper exposes the problems she faced—but did not always solve. Looking through her main contributions, the paper concludes that she used different criteria for the classification of innovations and that they depended on the specific situations described by the models in which she used the classification.
Volume (Year): 15 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Harcourt,G. C., 1972.
"Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521096720, December.
- Harcourt, G C, 1969. "Some Cambridge Controversies in the Theory of Capital," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 7(2), pages 369-405, June.
- D. Besomi, 1999. "Harrod on the classification of technological progress. The origin of a wild-goose chase," BNL Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 52(208), pages 95-117.
- D. Besomi, 1999. "Harrod on the classification of technological progress. The origin of a wild-goose chase," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 52(208), pages 95-117.
- Eatwell, John, 1983. "The Long-Period Theory of Employment," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(3-4), pages 269-285, September.
- Kregel, J A, 1983. "The Microfoundations of the 'Generalisation of The General Theory' and 'Bastard Keynesianism': Keynes's Theory of Employment in the Long and the Short Period," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(3-4), pages 343-361, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:15:y:2003:i:4:p:521-544. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Chris Longhurst)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.