The Economic Writings of William Thomas Thornton: A review article
The Economic Writings of William Thomas Thornton makes available numerous out-of-print books and articles by an important economist whose work has, until recently, been neglected by historians of economic thought. The collection, which is by no means complete, helps cement Thornton's reputation and restores his rightful place in the history of economics. This article discusses the collection's main strengths and weaknesses, and draws particular attention to the contemporary relevance of Thornton's work in the light of recent controversies surrounding his place in the annals of economic science, and to certain aspects of his successful East India Company career.
Volume (Year): 14 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bharadwaj, Krishna, 1978. "The Subversion of Classical Analysis: Alfred Marshall's Early Writing on Value," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 2(3), pages 253-71, September.
- Robert B. Ekelund, Jr. & Sven Thommesen, 1989. "Disequilibrium Theory and Thornton's Assault on the Laws of Supply and Demand," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 21(4), pages 567-592, Winter.
- Mark Donoghue, 2000. "Some unpublished correspondence of William Thomas Thornton, 1866-1872," The European Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(3), pages 321-349.
- Ekelund, Robert B., 1997. "W. T. Thornton: Savant, Idiot, or Idiot-Savant?," Journal of the History of Economic Thought, Cambridge University Press, vol. 19(01), pages 1-23, March.
- Takashi Negishi, 1986. "Thornton's criticism of equilibrium theory and Mill," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 18(4), pages 567-577, Winter.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:14:y:2002:i:2:p:259-267. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.