Keynes-Marx and Keynes-Wicksell Models of Monetary Growth: A framework for future analysis
This paper reconsiders and generalizes a dichotomizing two-sector real growth model of Marglin which claims that the steady state of capitalist economies is plagued by secular inflation. We show that this implication need not be true from the perspective of a more general steady state analysis and that the Marglin model can be embedded into a general Keynes-Marx-Friedman or Keynes-Wicksell framework where money is superneutral, where therefore inflation is due solely to excessive monetary growth, where the private sector is basically asymptotically stable and where there is a steady state rate of employment that differs from the 'natural' rate of employment of monetarist models of inflation. We consider this model a benchmark model that requires equally general alternatives if the above implications are to be rejected.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 12 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CRPE20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CRPE20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chiarella, Carl & Flaschel, Peter & Wells, Graeme, 2003.
"The Dynamics Of Keynesian Monetary Growth,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(03), pages 473-475, June.
- Chiarella,Carl & Flaschel,Peter, 2011. "The Dynamics of Keynesian Monetary Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521180184.
- Chiarella,Carl & Flaschel,Peter, 2000. "The Dynamics of Keynesian Monetary Growth," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521643511.
- Fischer, Stanley, 1972. "Keynes-Wicksell and Neoclassical Models of Money and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 880-90, December.
- Chiarella, Carl & Flaschel, Peter, 1996. "Real and monetary cycles in models of Keynes-Wicksell type," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 327-351, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:revpoe:v:12:y:2000:i:4:p:453-468. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.