Exact joint forecast regions for vector autoregressive models
Assume that a k-element vector time series follows a vector autoregressive (VAR) model. Obtaining simultaneous forecasts of the k elements of the vector time series is an important problem. Based on the Bonferroni inequality, Lutkepohl (1991) derived the procedures which construct the conservative joint forecast regions for the VAR model. In this paper, we propose to use an exact method which provides shorter prediction intervals than does the Bonferroni method. Three illustrative examples are given for comparison of the various VAR forecasting procedures.
Volume (Year): 26 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/CJAS20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/CJAS20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chatfield, Chris, 1993. "Calculating Interval Forecasts: Reply," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 143-144, April.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Chatfield, Chris, 1993. "Calculating Interval Forecasts," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 121-135, April.
- Edlund, Per-Olov & Karlsson, Sune, 1993. "Forecasting the Swedish unemployment rate VAR vs. transfer function modelling," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 61-76, April.
- Otter, Pieter W, 1990. "Canonical Correlation in Multivariate Time Series Analysis with an Application to One-Year-Ahead and Multiyear-Ahead Macroeconomic Forecasting," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(4), pages 453-457, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:japsta:v:26:y:1999:i:1:p:35-44. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.