The Optimal Taxation of Income From International Investment: A Geometric Analysis
This paper examines how a capital-exporting country should tax foreign investment Income when saving is variable and the goal is to maximize global welfare. Other Recent studies have assumed either that countries cooperate to achieve this goal, or that they act unilaterally to maximize the national benefit. The present paper returns to the framework used by earlier authors, in which the capital-exporting country acts unilaterally and takes foreign tax rates as given. Unlike the previous studies, it is found that if the capital-exporting country's investments do not alter foreign rates of return, the optimal tax structure may involve higher taxes for foreign than for domestic investment income. H21,H87]
Volume (Year): 14 (2000)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RIEJ20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RIEJ20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce, N., 1991.
"A Note on the Taxation of International Capital Income Flows,"
Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington
91-10a, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Bruce, Neil, 1992. "A Note on the Taxation of International Capital Income Flows," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 68(202), pages 217-21, September.
- Bruce, N., 1991. "A Note on the Taxation of International Capital Income Flows," Working Papers 91-10a, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Joel Slemrod & Carl Hansen & Roger Procter, 1994.
"The Seesaw Principle in International Tax Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
4867, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Findlay, Christopher C, 1986. "Optimal Taxation of International Income Flows," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 62(177), pages 208-14, June.
- John Dutton, 1982. "The Optimal Taxation of International Investment Income: A Comment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(2), pages 373-380.
- Thomas Horst, 1980. "A Note on the Optimal Taxation of International Investment Income," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 94(4), pages 793-798.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:intecj:v:14:y:2000:i:4:p:77-86. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.