The new social audits: accountability, managerial capture or the agenda of social champions?
Drawing upon a series of interviews conducted with leading practitioners and opinion formulators in the social, ethical and environmental audit arena, together with an extensive review of recent literature in the area, this paper offers a critical appraisal of current developments in the newly revitalized social audit movement. We particularly question whether in their enthusiasm for bringing social audit into the mainstream of current business thinking its advocates risk compromising the democratic ideals of the founding fathers of the movement. A particular concern raised is that without real change in corporate governance structures, social audit could become monopolized by consultants and/or corporate management and hence amount to little more than a skilfully controlled public relations exercise.
Volume (Year): 9 (2000)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REAR20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REAR20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Power, Michael, 1997. "Expertise and the construction of relevance: Accountants and environmental audit," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 123-146, February.
- Cherns, Albert B., 1978. "Alienation and accountancy," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 105-114, June.
- Medawar, Charles, 1976. "The social audit: A political view," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 389-394, October.
- Marques, Edmond, 1976. "Human resource accounting: Some questions and reflections," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 1(2-3), pages 175-178, June.
- Power, Michael, 1996. "Making things auditable," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 289-315.
- Harte, G. F. & Owen, D. L., 1987. "Fighting de-industrialisation: The role of local government social audits," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 123-141, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:euract:v:9:y:2000:i:1:p:81-98. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.