Ownership advantages/disadvantages of Singapore transnational construction corporations
Expanding beyond Singapore's boundaries has been a source of increased business for Singapore transnational construction corporations (STCCs). This paper analyses the significance of ownership advantage and disadvantage factors of STCCs in pursuing their international construction business, relative to other ASEAN contractors and contractors from developed countries. Moreover, this study examines if these ownership factors do vary significantly according to firm specific contextual variables in the STCCs such as size, international age, multinationality and extent of specialization/diversification. Based on responses from 22 STCCs, this study has found that the most important ownership advantage factors of STCCs were identified as coming from: (1) information, knowledge, technology and R&D capability; (2) the firm's name and reputation; and (3) management and organizational capability. Relative to established international contractors STCCs have a significant size disadvantage with reference to certain project types.
Volume (Year): 21 (2003)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RCME20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RCME20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- L. M. Muir, 1977. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(56), pages 23-24, October.
- Masahiko Itaki, 1991. "A Critical Assessment of the Eclectic Theory of the Multinational Enterprise," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 22(3), pages 445-460, September.
- John H Dunning, 1995. "Reappraising the Eclectic Paradigm in an Age of Alliance Capitalism," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(3), pages 461-491, September.
- D. W. Stammer, 1977. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(53), pages 12-14, 01.
- John Dunning, 1981. "Explaining the international direct investment position of countries: Towards a dynamic or developmental approach," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 117(1), pages 30-64, March.
- D. H. Whitehead, 1977. "Comment," Economic Papers, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 1(56), pages 35-38, October.
- Lall, Sanjaya, 1980. "Monopolistic Advantages and Foreign Involvement by U.S. Manufacturing Industry," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 32(1), pages 102-22, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:conmgt:v:21:y:2003:i:1:p:81-94. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.