A note on technical change in banking: the case of European savings banks
Using a Fourier flexible form cost function methodology, technical progress is estimated for a large sample of European savings banks between 1989 and 1997. On average, technical progress has reduced savings banks total costs by around 3.4% per annum. Since the European savings banks industry is characterized by technology sharing arrangements, a test is made to determine whether technical change is positively related to bank size. The estimates identify two important features of how technical progress has effected European savings banks' costs. First, costs reductions arising from technical change diminish between 1989 and 1997. Second, technical progress has a bigger impact on reducing large savings banks' costs, chiefly because of its influence on input prices, that is, non-neutral technical change increases systematically with size. This suggests that large savings banks have greater flexibility in reducing costs in response to technical progress, implying that technology sharing arrangements have not led to uniform reductions in banks' total cost. Rather, large savings banks are market leaders and small banks market followers. Since larger banks benefit more from technical progress this may be an important factor promoting consolidation in the European savings banks industry.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 35 (2003)
Issue (Month): 6 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEC20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chalfant, James A. & Gallant, A. Ronald, 1985. "Estimating substitution elasticities with the Fourier cost function : Some Monte Carlo results," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 28(2), pages 205-222, May.
- Altunbas, Yener & Goddard, John & Molyneux, Phil, 1999. "Technical change in banking," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 215-221, August.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997.
"Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?,"
97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997. "Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Elbadawi, Ibrahim & Gallant, A Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1983. "An Elasticity Can Be Estimated Consistently without A Priori Knowledge of Functional Form," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(6), pages 1731-51, November.
- Kenneth Spong & Richard J. Sullivan & Robert DeYoung, 1995. "What makes a bank efficient? : a look at financial characteristics and management and ownership structure," Financial Industry Perspectives, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City, issue Dec, pages 1-19.
- Lang, Gunter & Welzel, Peter, 1996. "Efficiency and technical progress in banking Empirical results for a panel of German cooperative banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1003-1023, July.
- Gallant, A. Ronald & Souza, Geraldo, 1991. "On the asymptotic normality of Fourier flexible form estimates," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 329-353, December.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1990.
"Production frontiers with cross-sectional and time-series variation in efficiency levels,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1-2), pages 185-200.
- Cornwell, Christopher & Schmidt, Peter & Sickles, Robin C., 1989. "Production Frontiers With Cross-Sectinal And Time-Series Variation In Efficiency Levels," Working Papers 89-18, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1981. "On the bias in flexible functional forms and an essentially unbiased form : The fourier flexible form," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 211-245, February.
- S. Baranzoni & P. Bianchi & L. Lambertini, 2000. "Market Structure," Working Papers 368, Dipartimento Scienze Economiche, Universita' di Bologna.
- Hunter, William C & Timme, Stephen G, 1991. "Technological Change in Large U.S. Commercial Banks," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 64(3), pages 339-62, July.
- Gallant, A. Ronald, 1982. "Unbiased determination of production technologies," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 285-323, November.
- McKillop, Donal G. & Glass, J. Colin & Morikawa, Yukio, 1996. "The composite cost function and efficiency in giant Japanese banks," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(10), pages 1651-1671, December.
- De Bandt, Olivier & Davis, E. Philip, 2000. "Competition, contestability and market structure in European banking sectors on the eve of EMU," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 1045-1066, June.
- Baltagi, Badi H & Griffin, James M, 1988. "A General Index of Technical Change," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 20-41, February.
- William R. White, 1998. "The coming transformation of continental european banking?," BIS Working Papers 54, Bank for International Settlements.
- Mester, Loretta J., 1996. "A study of bank efficiency taking into account risk-preferences," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 1025-1045, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:applec:v:35:y:2003:i:6:p:705-719. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.