Arbitrage valuation and bounds for sinking-fund bonds with multiple sinking-fund dates
The paper tackles the problem of pricing, under interest-rate risk, a default-free sinking-fund bond which allows its issuer to recurrently retire part of the issue by (a) a lottery call at par, or (b) an open market repurchase. By directly modelling zero-coupon bonds as diffusions driven by a single-dimensional Brownian motion, a pricing formula is supplied for the sinking-fund bond based on a backward induction procedure which exploits, at each step, the martingale approach to the valuation of contingent-claims. With more than one sinking-fund date, however, the pricing formula is not in closed form, not even for simple parametrizations of the process for zerocoupon bonds, so that a numerical approach is needed. Since the computational complexity increases exponentially with the number of sinking-fund dates, arbitrage-based lower and upper bounds are provided for the sinking-fund bond price. The computation of these bounds is almost effortless when zero-coupon bonds are as described by Cox, Ingersoll and Ross. Numerical comparisons between the price of the sinking-fund bond obtained via Monte Carlo simulation and these lower and upper bounds are illustrated for different choices of parameters.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 6 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Dunn, Kenneth B. & Spatt, Chester S., 1984. "A strategic analysis of sinking fund bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 399-423, September.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-29, December.
- Ho, Thomas & Singer, Ronald F, 1984. "The Value of Corporate Debt with a Sinking-Fund Provision," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(3), pages 315-36, July.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Jamshidian, Farshid, 1989. " An Exact Bond Option Formula," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 205-09, March.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "A Re-examination of Traditional Hypotheses about the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 769-99, September.
- Wu, Chunchi, 1993. "Information Asymmetry and the Sinking Fund Provision," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(03), pages 399-416, September.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:6:y:1999:i:4:p:293-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.