Arbitrage valuation and bounds for sinking-fund bonds with multiple sinking-fund dates
The paper tackles the problem of pricing, under interest-rate risk, a default-free sinking-fund bond which allows its issuer to recurrently retire part of the issue by (a) a lottery call at par, or (b) an open market repurchase. By directly modelling zero-coupon bonds as diffusions driven by a single-dimensional Brownian motion, a pricing formula is supplied for the sinking-fund bond based on a backward induction procedure which exploits, at each step, the martingale approach to the valuation of contingent-claims. With more than one sinking-fund date, however, the pricing formula is not in closed form, not even for simple parametrizations of the process for zerocoupon bonds, so that a numerical approach is needed. Since the computational complexity increases exponentially with the number of sinking-fund dates, arbitrage-based lower and upper bounds are provided for the sinking-fund bond price. The computation of these bounds is almost effortless when zero-coupon bonds are as described by Cox, Ingersoll and Ross. Numerical comparisons between the price of the sinking-fund bond obtained via Monte Carlo simulation and these lower and upper bounds are illustrated for different choices of parameters.
Volume (Year): 6 (1999)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Chunchi, 1993. "Information Asymmetry and the Sinking Fund Provision," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 28(03), pages 399-416, September.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Kreps, David M., 1979. "Martingales and arbitrage in multiperiod securities markets," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 381-408, June.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Jamshidian, Farshid, 1989. " An Exact Bond Option Formula," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 205-209, March.
- Ho, Thomas & Singer, Ronald F, 1984. "The Value of Corporate Debt with a Sinking-Fund Provision," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 57(3), pages 315-36, July.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1981. "A Re-examination of Traditional Hypotheses about the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 769-799, September.
- Ho, Thomas S Y & Lee, Sang-bin, 1986. " Term Structure Movements and Pricing Interest Rate Contingent Claims," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(5), pages 1011-1029, December.
- Dunn, Kenneth B. & Spatt, Chester S., 1984. "A strategic analysis of sinking fund bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 399-423, September.
- David Heath & Robert Jarrow & Andrew Morton, 2008.
"Bond Pricing And The Term Structure Of Interest Rates: A New Methodology For Contingent Claims Valuation,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,
in: Financial Derivatives Pricing Selected Works of Robert Jarrow, chapter 13, pages 277-305
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Heath, David & Jarrow, Robert & Morton, Andrew, 1992. "Bond Pricing and the Term Structure of Interest Rates: A New Methodology for Contingent Claims Valuation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 77-105, January.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "A Theory of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 385-407, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:6:y:1999:i:4:p:293-312. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.