Physical attractiveness, employment and earnings
Survey data are used to estimate the impact of physical attractiveness rated by the interviewer as well as by the respondent on employment probability and labour income of men and women. In addition to mean linear and nonlinear effects on earnings, simultaneous quantile regressions are applied to analyse heterogeneity across the wage distribution.
Volume (Year): 19 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Armin Falk & Markus Knell, 2004.
"Choosing the Joneses: Endogenous Goals and Reference Standards,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 106(3), pages 417-435, October.
- Falk, Armin & Knell, Markus, 2004. "Choosing the Joneses: Endogenous Goals and Reference Standards," IZA Discussion Papers 1152, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Falk, Armin & Knell, Markus, 2004. "Choosing the Joneses: Endogenous Goals and Reference Standards," CEPR Discussion Papers 4459, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daniel S. Hamermesh & Jeff E. Biddle, 1993.
"Beauty and the Labor Market,"
NBER Working Papers
4518, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dennis J. Aigner & Glen G. Cain, 1977. "Statistical theories of discrimination in labor markets," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 30(2), pages 175-187, January.
- Ciska M. Bosman & Gerard Pfann & Jeff E. Biddle & Daniel S. Hamermesh, 1997.
"Business Success and Businesses' Beauty Capital,"
NBER Working Papers
6083, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S. & Meng, Xin & Zhang, Junsen, 2002.
"Dress for success--does primping pay?,"
Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 361-373, July.
- Fletcher, Jason M., 2009. "Beauty vs. brains: Early labor market outcomes of high school graduates," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 105(3), pages 321-325, December.
- Michael French, 2002. "Physical appearance and earnings: further evidence," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(5), pages 569-572.
- Markus M. Mobius & Tanya S. Rosenblat, 2006.
"Why Beauty Matters,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 96(1), pages 222-235, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:19:y:2012:i:6:p:505-510. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.