On measuring group-differentials displayed by socio-economic indicators: an extension
In a recent paper, Mishra and Subramanian (2006) propose a measure to explain group-differential which is sensitive to levels in the sense that a given hiatus at lower levels of failure (or higher levels of attainment) is considered worse off. This article critically evaluates their method - refines their two axioms, adds an additional axiom of normalization and proposes an alternative which is more general. It proposes to reduce subjectivity when there is lower hiatus at lower levels of failure and also addresses scenarios when rank ordering of sub-groups will be reversed. Empirical illustration with infant mortality rate data for selected Indian states is also provided.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2008)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Udaya Mishra & S. Subramanian, 2006. "On measuring group-differentials displayed by socioeconomic indicators," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 13(8), pages 519-521.
- Srijit Mishra, 2008.
"On measuring group-differentials displayed by socio-economic indicators: an extension,"
Applied Economics Letters,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(12), pages 935-938.
- Srijit Mishra, 2006. "On Measuring Group-differentials Displayed by Socio-economic Indicators - An Extension," Microeconomics Working Papers 22397, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Srijit Mishra, 2006. "On measuring group-differentials displayed by socio-economic indicators: An Extension," Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers 2006-005, Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India.
- Kakwani, N., 1993. "Performance in living standards : An international comparison," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 307-336, August.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1976. "Poverty: An Ordinal Approach to Measurement," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 44(2), pages 219-231, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:15:y:2008:i:12:p:935-938. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.