A hybrid approach based on neural networks and genetic algorithms to the study of profitability in the Spanish Stock Market
This paper studies predictability and profitability of using neural networks (NN) in the Spanish security market. This is carried out through a hybrid approximation which entails evolving a genetic algorithm in order to obtain an optimal NN's architecture. To that end, (NNs) forecasts are transformed into a simple trading strategy, whose profitability is evaluated against a simple buy-and-hold strategy.
Volume (Year): 12 (2005)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEL20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAEL20|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F, 1991. " Efficient Capital Markets: II," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1575-617, December.
- Fernandez-Rodriguez, Fernando & Gonzalez-Martel, Christian & Sosvilla-Rivero, Simon, 2000.
"On the profitability of technical trading rules based on artificial neural networks:: Evidence from the Madrid stock market,"
Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 89-94, October.
- Fernando Fernández-Rodríguez & Christian González-Martel* & Simón Sosvilla-Rivero, . "On the profitability of technical trading rules based on arifitial neural networks : evidence from the Madrid stock market," Working Papers 99-07, FEDEA.
- McAdam, Peter & McNelis, Paul, 2005.
"Forecasting inflation with thick models and neural networks,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 848-867, September.
- McNelis, Paul & McAdam, Peter, 2004. "Forecasting inflation with thick models and neural networks," Working Paper Series 0352, European Central Bank.
- Brock, William & Lakonishok, Josef & LeBaron, Blake, 1992.
" Simple Technical Trading Rules and the Stochastic Properties of Stock Returns,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1731-64, December.
- Brock, W. & Lakonishok, J. & Lebaron, B., 1991. "Simple Technical Trading Rules And The Stochastic Properties Of Stock Returns," Working papers 90-22, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Chung-Ming Kuan, 2006. "Artificial Neural Networks," IEAS Working Paper : academic research 06-A010, Institute of Economics, Academia Sinica, Taipei, Taiwan.
- Granger, Clive W. J. & Jeon, Yongil, 2004. "Thick modeling," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 323-343, March.
- Beenstock, Michael & Szpiro, George, 2002. "Specification search in nonlinear time-series models using the genetic algorithm," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 811-835, May.
- Gencay Ramazan & Stengos Thanasis, 1997.
"Technical Trading Rules and the Size of the Risk Premium in Security Returns,"
Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics,
De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-14, July.
- Gencay, R & Stengos, T, 1996. "Technical Trading Rules and the Size of the Risk Premium in Security Returns," Working Papers 1996-11, University of Guelph, Department of Economics and Finance.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apeclt:v:12:y:2005:i:5:p:303-308. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.