On the Use, the Misuse, and the Very Limited Usefulness of Cronbach’s Alpha
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- P. Bentler & J. Woodward, 1980. "Inequalities among lower bounds to reliability: With applications to test construction and factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 45(2), pages 249-267, June.
- Cyril Hoyt, 1941. "Test reliability estimated by analysis of variance," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 6(3), pages 153-160, June.
- Kentaro Hayashi & Akihito Kamata, 2005. "A note on the estimator of the alpha coefficient for standardized variables under normality," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 70(3), pages 579-586, September.
- Lee Cronbach, 1988. "Internal consistency of tests: Analyses old and new," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 53(1), pages 63-70, March.
- Jos Berge & Gregor Sočan, 2004. "The greatest lower bound to the reliability of a test and the hypothesis of unidimensionality," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 69(4), pages 613-625, December.
- Frederic Lord, 1960. "An empirical study of the normality and independence of errors of measurement in test scores," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 25(1), pages 91-104, March.
- Alexander Shapiro & Jos Berge, 2000. "The asymptotic bias of minimum trace factor analysis, with applications to the greatest lower bound to reliability," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 413-425, September.
- Melvin Novick & Charles Lewis, 1967. "Coefficient alpha and the reliability of composite measurements," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 32(1), pages 1-13, March.
- Brian Woodhouse & Paul Jackson, 1977. "Lower bounds for the reliability of the total score on a test composed of non-homogeneous items: II: A search procedure to locate the greatest lower bound," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 42(4), pages 579-591, December.
- Jos Berge & Tom Snijders & Frits Zegers, 1981. "Computational aspects of the greatest lower bound to the reliability and constrained minimum trace factor analysis," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 46(2), pages 201-213, June.
- Yoshio Takane & Jan Leeuw, 1987. "On the relationship between item response theory and factor analysis of discretized variables," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 393-408, September.
- Denny Borsboom, 2006. "The attack of the psychometricians," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 425-440, September.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- repec:spr:ariqol:v:12:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s11482-017-9516-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rue, Lisa A. & Estrada, Samantha & Floren, Michael & MacKinnon, Krista, 2016. "Formative evaluation: Developing measures for online family mental health recovery education," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 55(C), pages 27-34.
- Matthijs Warrens, 2015. "Some Relationships Between Cronbach’s Alpha and the Spearman-Brown Formula," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 32(1), pages 127-137, April.
- Dorothy Watson & Bertrand Maitre, 2015. "Is Fuel Poverty in Ireland a Distinct Type of Deprivation?," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 46(2), pages 267-291.
- Pamela Lenton, 2014. "Personality Characteristics, Educational Attainment and Wages: An Economic Analysis Using the British Cohort Study," Working Papers 2014011, The University of Sheffield, Department of Economics.
- repec:eee:touman:v:64:y:2018:i:c:p:110-118 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tingey-Holyoak, Joanne, 2014. "Sustainable water storage by agricultural businesses: Strategic responses to institutional pressures," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 67(12), pages 2590-2602.
- repec:kap:jbuset:v:144:y:2017:i:2:d:10.1007_s10551-015-2828-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Tyler Hunt & Peter Bentler, 2015. "Quantile Lower Bounds to Reliability Based on Locally Optimal Splits," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 80(1), pages 182-195, March.
- Johannes Landsheer, 2014. "The co-occurrence of self-observed norm-conforming behavior, reduction of zero observations and remaining measurement quality," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 48(5), pages 2647-2656, September.
- repec:esr:resser:bkmnext125 is not listed on IDEAS
- Mikhail Balyasin & Luís Carvalho & Georgiana Mihut, 2016. "Student Experience: A New Approach to Evaluate the Quality of Erasmus Mundus Joint Master Degrees through Survey Research," Educational Studies, Higher School of Economics, issue 1, pages 110-134.
- Conzo, Pierluigi & Aassve, Arnstein & Fuochi, Giulia & Mencarini, Letizia, 2017.
"The cultural foundations of happiness,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 62(C), pages 268-283.
- Pierluigi Conzo & Arnstein Aassve & Giulia Fuochi & Letizia Mencarini, 2016. "The Cultural Drivers of Subjective Well-Being," Working Papers 093, "Carlo F. Dondena" Centre for Research on Social Dynamics (DONDENA), Università Commerciale Luigi Bocconi.
- Conzo, Pierluigi & Aassve, Arnstein & Fuochi, Giulia & Mencarini, Letizia, 2017. "The Cultural Foundations of Happiness," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201702, University of Turin.
- Rob Eisinga & Manfred Grotenhuis & Ben Pelzer, 2013. "The reliability of a two-item scale: Pearson, Cronbach, or Spearman-Brown?," International Journal of Public Health, Springer;Swiss School of Public Health (SSPH+), vol. 58(4), pages 637-642, August.
- Ariel Alonso & Annouschka Laenen & Geert Molenberghs & Helena Geys & Tony Vangeneugden, 2010. "A Unified Approach to Multi-item Reliability," Biometrics, The International Biometric Society, vol. 66(4), pages 1061-1068, December.
- repec:eee:touman:v:56:y:2016:i:c:p:75-84 is not listed on IDEAS
- Micha Germann & Fernando Mendez, 2016. "Dynamic scale validation reloaded," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 50(3), pages 981-1007, May.
- Guido Alessandri & Michele Vecchione & Brent Donnellan & John Tisak, 2013. "An Application of the LC-LSTM Framework to the Self-esteem Instability Case," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 78(4), pages 769-792, October.
- Cristina Wildermuth & Carlos A. Mello e Souza & Timothy Kozitza, 2017. "Circles of Ethics: The Impact of Proximity on Moral Reasoning," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 140(1), pages 17-42, January.
- repec:spr:psycho:v:82:y:2017:i:3:d:10.1007_s11336-016-9538-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Vazsonyi, Alexander T. & Jiskrova, Gabriela Ksinan & Ksinan, Albert J. & Blatný, Marek, 2016. "An empirical test of self-control theory in Roma adolescents," Journal of Criminal Justice, Elsevier, vol. 44(C), pages 66-76.
- Cornelius, Talea & Desrosiers, Alethea & Kershaw, Trace, 2016. "Spread of health behaviors in young couples: How relationship power shapes relational influence," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 165(C), pages 46-55.
More about this item
KeywordsCronbach’s alpha; internal consistency; reliability; unidimensionality;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:psycho:v:74:y:2009:i:1:p:107-120. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.