Mixed systems with minimal and maximal lifetime variances
We consider the mixed systems composed of a fixed number of components whose lifetimes are i.i.d. with a known distribution which has a positive and finite variance. We show that a certain of the k-out-of-n systems has the minimal lifetime variance, and the maximal one is attained by a mixture of series and parallel systems. The number of the k-out-of-n system, and the probability weights of the mixture depend on the first two moments of order statistics of the parent distribution of the component lifetimes. We also show methods of calculating extreme system lifetime variances under various restrictions on the system lifetime expectations, and vice versa. Copyright The Author(s) 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 75 (2012)
Issue (Month): 7 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/journal/184/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rychlik, Tomasz, 1994. "Distributions and expectations of order statistics for possibly dependent random variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 31-42, January.
- Nickos Papadatos, 1995. "Maximum variance of order statistics," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 47(1), pages 185-193, January.
- Balakrishnan, N. & Balasubramanian, K., 1993. "Equivalence of Hartley--David--Gumbel and Papathanasiou bounds and some further remarks," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 39-41, January.
- Rychlik, Tomasz, 2008. "Extreme variances of order statistics in dependent samples," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 78(12), pages 1577-1582, September.
- Navarro, Jorge & Balakrishnan, N., 2010. "Study of some measures of dependence between order statistics and systems," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 101(1), pages 52-67, January.
- Papathanasiou, V., 1990. "Some characterizations of distributions based on order statistics," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 145-147, February.
- Nickos Papadatos, 1997. "A Note on Maximum Variance of Order Statistics from Symmetric Populations," Annals of the Institute of Statistical Mathematics, Springer;The Institute of Statistical Mathematics, vol. 49(1), pages 117-121, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:metrik:v:75:y:2012:i:7:p:877-894. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.