Additive Biclustering: A Comparison of One New and Two Existing ALS Algorithms
The additive biclustering model for two-way two-mode object by variable data implies overlapping clusterings of both the objects and the variables together with a weight for each bicluster (i.e., a pair of an object and a variable cluster). In the data analysis, an additive biclustering model is fitted to given data by means of minimizing a least squares loss function. To this end, two alternating least squares algorithms (ALS) may be used: (1) PENCLUS, and (2) Baier’s ALS approach. However, both algorithms suffer from some inherent limitations, which may hamper their performance. As a way out, based on theoretical results regarding optimally designing ALS algorithms, in this paper a new ALS algorithm will be presented. In a simulation study this algorithm will be shown to outperform the existing ALS approaches. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
Volume (Year): 30 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=101794|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael Greenacre, 1988. "Clustering the rows and columns of a contingency table," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 39-51, March.
- Turner, Heather & Bailey, Trevor & Krzanowski, Wojtek, 2005. "Improved biclustering of microarray data demonstrated through systematic performance tests," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 48(2), pages 235-254, February.
- Boris Mirkin & Phipps Arabie & Lawrence Hubert, 1995. "Additive two-mode clustering: The error-variance approach revisited," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 243-263, September.
- Thomas Eckes & Peter Orlik, 1993. "An error variance approach to two-mode hierarchical clustering," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 51-74, January.
- Even Mechelen & Paul Boeck, 1990. "Projection of a binary criterion into a model of hierarchical classes," Psychometrika, Springer, vol. 55(4), pages 677-694, December.
- Douglas Steinley & Michael J. Brusco, 2007. "Initializing K-means Batch Clustering: A Critical Evaluation of Several Techniques," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 24(1), pages 99-121, June.
- Anil Chaturvedi & J. Carroll, 1994. "An alternating combinatorial optimization approach to fitting the INDCLUS and generalized INDCLUS models," Journal of Classification, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 155-170, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:jclass:v:30:y:2013:i:1:p:56-74. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.