Consistent price systems and arbitrage opportunities of the second kind in models with transaction costs
In contrast with the classical models of frictionless financial markets, market models with proportional transaction costs, even satisfying usual no-arbitrage properties, may admit arbitrage opportunities of the second kind. This means that there are self-financing portfolios with initial endowments laying outside the solvency region but ending inside. Such a phenomenon was discovered by M. R´asonyi in the discrete-time framework. In this note we consider a rather abstract continuous-time setting and prove necessary and sufficient conditions for the property which we call No Free Lunch of the 2nd Kind, NFL2. We provide a number of equivalent conditions elucidating, in particular, the financial meaning of the property B which appeared as an indispensable “technical” hypothesis in previous papers on hedging (super-replication) of contingent claims under transaction costs. We show that it is equivalent to another condition on the “richness” of the set of consistent price systems, close to the condition PCE introduced by R´asonyi. In the last section we deduce the R´asonyi theorem from our general result using specific features of discrete-time models.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/content/101164/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luciano Campi & Walter Schachermayer, 2006. "A super-replication theorem in Kabanov’s model of transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 10(4), pages 579-596, December.
- Dimitri De Vallière & Yuri Kabanov & Christophe Stricker, 2007. "No-arbitrage criteria for financial markets with transaction costs and incomplete information," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 11(2), pages 237-251, April.
- Y.M. Kabanov & D.O. Kramkov, 1998. "Asymptotic arbitrage in large financial markets," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 143-172.
- Clotilde Napp & Elyès Jouini, 2005.
"Arbitrage and state price deflators in a general intertemporal framework,"
- Jouini, Elyes & Napp, Clotilde & Schachermayer, Walter, 2005. "Arbitrage and state price deflators in a general intertemporal framework," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 722-734, September.
- D. Vallière & E. Denis & Y. Kabanov, 2009. "Hedging of American options under transaction costs," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 105-119, January.
- Yuri M. Kabanov & Günter Last, 2002. "Hedging under Transaction Costs in Currency Markets: a Continuous-Time Model," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 63-70.
- (**), Christophe Stricker & (*), Miklós Rásonyi & Yuri Kabanov, 2002. "No-arbitrage criteria for financial markets with efficient friction," Finance and Stochastics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 371-382.
- Napp, Clotilde & Jouini, Elyès, 2005. "Arbitrage and state price deflators in a general intertemporal framework," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/345, Paris Dauphine University.
- Paolo Guasoni & Mikl\'os R\'asonyi & Walter Schachermayer, 2008. "Consistent price systems and face-lifting pricing under transaction costs," Papers 0803.4416, arXiv.org.
- Kabanov, Yu. M. & Stricker, Ch., 2001. "The Harrison-Pliska arbitrage pricing theorem under transaction costs," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 185-196, April.
- Grigoriev Pavel G., 2005. "On low dimensional case in the fundamental asset pricing theorem with transaction costs," Statistics & Risk Modeling, De Gruyter, vol. 23(1/2005), pages 33-48, January.
- Jaksa Cvitanić & Ioannis Karatzas, 1996. "HEDGING AND PORTFOLIO OPTIMIZATION UNDER TRANSACTION COSTS: A MARTINGALE APPROACH-super-2," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(2), pages 133-165.
- Campi, Luciano & Schachermayer, Walter, 2006. "A super-replication theorem in Kabanov’s model of transaction costs," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5455, Paris Dauphine University.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:finsto:v:16:y:2012:i:1:p:135-154. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.