Synchronized routing of seasonal products through a production/distribution network
This paper presents a multi-period vehicle routing problem for a large-scale production and distribution network. The vehicles must be routed in such a way as to minimize travel and inventory costs over a multi-period horizon, while also taking retailer demands and the availability of products at a central production facility into account. The network is composed of one distribution center and hundreds of retailers. Each retailer has its demand schedule representing the total number of units of a given product that should have been received on a given day. Many high value products are distributed. Product availability is determined by the production facility, whose production schedule determines how many units of each product must be available on a given day. To distribute these products, the routes of a heterogeneous fleet must be determined for a multiple period horizon. The objective of our research is to minimize the cost of distributing products to the retailers and the cost of maintaining inventory at the facility. In addition to considering product availability, the routing schedule must respect many constraints, such as capacity restrictions on the routes and the possibility of multiple vehicle trips over the time horizon. In the situation studied, no more than 20 product units could be carried by a single vehicle, which generally limited the number of retailers that could be supplied to one or two per route. This article proposes a mathematical formulation, as well as some heuristics, for solving this single-retailer-route vehicle routing problem. Extensions are then proposed to deal with the multiple-retailer-route situation. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2006
Volume (Year): 14 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.fhi.sk/ssov
Web page: http://www.mot.org.hu/index_en.html
Web page: http://nb.vse.cz/csov/english.htm
Web page: http://www.oegor.at/
Web page: http://hdoi.hr/en_US/en/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/business/operations+research/journal/10100|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gavirneni, Srinagesh, 2001. "Benefits of co-operation in a production distribution environment," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 130(3), pages 612-622, May.
- Laporte, Gilbert, 1992. "The traveling salesman problem: An overview of exact and approximate algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(2), pages 231-247, June.
- Chandra, Pankaj & Fisher, Marshall L., 1994. "Coordination of production and distribution planning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 72(3), pages 503-517, February.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 2004.
"Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem,"
INFORMS, vol. 50(12_supple), pages 1782-1790, December.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 1960. "Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(4), pages 475-490, July.
- Helsgaun, Keld, 2000. "An effective implementation of the Lin-Kernighan traveling salesman heuristic," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 126(1), pages 106-130, October.
- Renaud, Jacques & Boctor, Fayez F., 2002. "A sweep-based algorithm for the fleet size and mix vehicle routing problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 140(3), pages 618-628, August.
- Laporte, Gilbert, 1992. "The vehicle routing problem: An overview of exact and approximate algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 59(3), pages 345-358, June.
- Thomas, Douglas J. & Griffin, Paul M., 1996. "Coordinated supply chain management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 94(1), pages 1-15, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:cejnor:v:14:y:2006:i:2:p:209-228. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.