Clustering of functional data in a low-dimensional subspace
To find optimal clusters of functional objects in a lower-dimensional subspace of data, a sequential method called tandem analysis, is often used, though such a method is problematic. A new procedure is developed to find optimal clusters of functional objects and also find an optimal subspace for clustering, simultaneously. The method is based on the k-means criterion for functional data and seeks the subspace that is maximally informative about the clustering structure in the data. An efficient alternating least-squares algorithm is described, and the proposed method is extended to a regularized method. Analyses of artificial and real data examples demonstrate that the proposed method gives correct and interpretable results. Copyright Springer-Verlag 2012
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 6 (2012)
Issue (Month): 3 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.springer.com|
Web page: http://www.gfkl.org/en/
Web page: http://www.bunrui.jp/en/
Web page: http://dssm.unipa.it/cladag
Web page: http://www.classification-society.org/
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.springer.com/statistics/statistical+theory+and+methods/journal/11634/PS2|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lawrence Hubert & Phipps Arabie, 1985. "Comparing partitions," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 2(1), pages 193-218, December.
- Timmerman, Marieke E. & Ceulemans, Eva & Kiers, Henk A.L. & Vichi, Maurizio, 2010. "Factorial and reduced K-means reconsidered," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 54(7), pages 1858-1871, July.
- Charles Bouveyron & Julien Jacques, 2011. "Model-based clustering of time series in group-specific functional subspaces," Advances in Data Analysis and Classification, Springer;German Classification Society - Gesellschaft für Klassifikation (GfKl);Japanese Classification Society (JCS);Classification and Data Analysis Group of the Italian Statistical Society (CLADAG);International Federation of Classification Societies (IFCS), vol. 5(4), pages 281-300, December.
- Hardy, Andre, 1996. "On the number of clusters," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 83-96, November.
- C. Abraham & P. A. Cornillon & E. Matzner-Løber & N. Molinari, 2003. "Unsupervised Curve Clustering using B-Splines," Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, Danish Society for Theoretical Statistics;Finnish Statistical Society;Norwegian Statistical Association;Swedish Statistical Association, vol. 30(3), pages 581-595.
- Besse, Philippe C. & Cardot, Herve & Ferraty, Frederic, 1997. "Simultaneous non-parametric regressions of unbalanced longitudinal data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 255-270, May.
- Tarpey, Thaddeus, 2007. "Linear Transformations and the k-Means Clustering Algorithm: Applications to Clustering Curves," The American Statistician, American Statistical Association, vol. 61, pages 34-40, February.
- Vichi, Maurizio & Kiers, Henk A. L., 2001. "Factorial k-means analysis for two-way data," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 49-64, July.
- Glenn Milligan & Martha Cooper, 1985. "An examination of procedures for determining the number of clusters in a data set," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 50(2), pages 159-179, June.
- Philippe Besse & J. Ramsay, 1986. "Principal components analysis of sampled functions," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 51(2), pages 285-311, June.
- Douglas Steinley & Robert Henson, 2005. "OCLUS: An Analytic Method for Generating Clusters with Known Overlap," Journal of Classification, Springer;The Classification Society, vol. 22(2), pages 221-250, September.
- Boente, Graciela & Fraiman, Ricardo, 2000. "Kernel-based functional principal components," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 335-345, July.
- Jan Leeuw & Forrest Young & Yoshio Takane, 1976. "Additive structure in qualitative data: An alternating least squares method with optimal scaling features," Psychometrika, Springer;The Psychometric Society, vol. 41(4), pages 471-503, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:advdac:v:6:y:2012:i:3:p:219-247. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.