Human Capital Productivity: A New Concept for Productivity Analysis
The concept of human capital, defined as the discounted value of future earnings, has a long history in economics. But human capital has never been directly linked to productivity. This article makes an attempt to bring the concepts of human capital and labour productivity together by introducing a new term, human capital productivity, which is defined as the ratio between an index of discounted future output and an index of human capital. While still in its very early stages of conceptual development and without empirical estimates, the concept of human capital productivity may contribute significantly to our understanding of the role human capital plays in potential output growth.
Volume (Year): 24 (2012)
Issue (Month): (Fall)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.csls.ca/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.csls.ca Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Carsten A Holz, 2005.
"New Capital Estimates for China,"
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000.
"The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The Resurgence of Growth in the Late 1990s: Is Information Technology the Story?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 3-22, Fall.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lipsey, Robert E. & Tice, Helen Stone (ed.), 1989. "The Measurement of Saving, Investment, and Wealth," National Bureau of Economic Research Books, University of Chicago Press, edition 1, number 9780226484686.
- Gang Liu, 2011. "Measuring the Stock of Human Capital for Comparative Analysis: An Application of the Lifetime Income Approach to Selected Countries," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2011/6, OECD Publishing.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:sls:ipmsls:v:24:y:2012:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.