An Analytic Derivation of the Efficient Market Portfolio
A market portfolio plays an important role in many financial theories and models. It is at the heart of the capital asset pricing model and other multivariate models. Because of the market portfolio cannot be observed directly, proxy portfolios must be used to conduct empirical studies. Unfortunately, many studies found these proxies to be inefficient and even removed from the efficient frontier. According to two-fund separation theorem, we take two steps to discover the efficient market portfolio. Our thinking is straightforward and proves that our market portfolio is not only an efficient portfolio but also is situated on the capital market line. Many researches have shown that the market portfolio is extremely sensitive to performance measurements. Hence, our findings may significantly influence financial research.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 004 021 3188148
Fax: 004 021 3188148
Web page: http://www.ipe.ro/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roll, Richard, 1978. "Ambiguity when Performance is Measured by the Securities Market Line," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1051-69, September.
- Jobson, J. D. & Korkie, Bob, 1982. "Potential performance and tests of portfolio efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 433-466, December.
- Green, R.C. & Hollifield, B., 1990.
"When Will Mean-Variance Efficient Portfolios Be Well Diversified?,"
GSIA Working Papers
1990-12, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Green, Richard C & Hollifield, Burton, 1992. " When Will Mean-Variance Efficient Portfolios Be Well Diversified?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(5), pages 1785-809, December.
- Soosung Hwang & Stephen Satchell, 2002.
"Calculating the misspecification in beta from using a proxy for the market portfolio,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 12(11), pages 771-781.
- Steve Satchell & Soosung Hwang, 2000. "Calculating the Miss-specification in Beta from Using a Proxy for the Market Portfolio," Working Papers wp00-04, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Kandel, Shmuel & Stambaugh, Robert F., 1987. "On correlations and inferences about mean-variance efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 61-90, March.
- Breeden, Douglas T., 1979. "An intertemporal asset pricing model with stochastic consumption and investment opportunities," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 265-296, September.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-45, November.
- R. C. Merton, 1970.
"Optimum Consumption and Portfolio Rules in a Continuous-time Model,"
58, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Merton, Robert C., 1971. "Optimum consumption and portfolio rules in a continuous-time model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 373-413, December.
- Gibbons, Michael R & Ross, Stephen A & Shanken, Jay, 1989. "A Test of the Efficiency of a Given Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(5), pages 1121-52, September.
- Merton, Robert C, 1969. "Lifetime Portfolio Selection under Uncertainty: The Continuous-Time Case," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 51(3), pages 247-57, August.
- Dybvig, Philip H & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. " The Analytics of Performance Measurement Using a Security Market Line," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(2), pages 401-16, June.
- Green, Richard C, 1986. " Benchmark Portfolio Inefficiency and Deviations from the Security Market Line," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 41(2), pages 295-312, June.
- MacKinlay, A Craig & Richardson, Matthew P, 1991. " Using Generalized Method of Moments to Test Mean-Variance Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(2), pages 511-27, June.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Tongshu Ma, 2003.
"Risk Reduction in Large Portfolios: Why Imposing the Wrong Constraints Helps,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 58(4), pages 1651-1684, 08.
- Ravi Jagannathan & Tongshu Ma, 2002. "Risk Reduction in Large Portfolios: Why Imposing the Wrong Constraints Helps," NBER Working Papers 8922, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levy, Haim, 1983. "The Capital Asset Pricing Model: Theory and Empiricism," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 93(369), pages 145-65, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rjr:romjef:v::y:2012:i:4:p:104-116. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Corina Saman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.