Le rôle des variations de taux de marge dans les fluctuations macroéconomiques conjoncturelles
This paper is concerned with the recent developments of macroeconomic intertemporal general equilibrium models with imperfect competition and variable markups at the business cycle frequency. We first present some empirical puzzles that can be explained by models with cyclical markups, and how these models raise some new questions about the introduction of materials, the returns to scale and the measure of the Solow residual. We then present the different models that can account for cyclical markups, and give some piece of evidence of their empirical relevance in the business cycle. Cet article passe en revue les développements récents de la théorie macroéconomique des fluctuations conjoncturelles qui intègrent explicitement une imperfection de la concurrence et des variations de taux de marge du prix sur le coût marginal dans le cycle. Nous présentons les questions empiriques posées, les précautions de modélisation qu’implique le choix de la concurrence imparfaite (prise en compte des consommations intermédiaires, rendements croissants, résidu de Solow), les différentes théories rendant compte de variations cycliques des taux de marge ainsi que les procédures de validation de ces théories.
Volume (Year): 71 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (juin)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.scse.ca/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Kiyotaki, Nobuhiro, 1987. "Monopolistic Competition and the Effects of Aggregate Demand," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(4), pages 647-66, September.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Saloner, Garth, 1986. "A Supergame-Theoretic Model of Price Wars during Booms," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(3), pages 390-407, June.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1990.
"Current real business cycle theories and aggregate labor market fluctuations,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
90, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Christiano, Lawrence J & Eichenbaum, Martin, 1992. "Current Real-Business-Cycle Theories and Aggregate Labor-Market Fluctuations," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 430-50, June.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum, 1990. "Current real business cycle theories and aggregate labor market fluctuations," Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics 24, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 1993.
"Labor Hoarding and the Business Cycle,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 101(2), pages 245-73, April.
- Evans, Charles L., 1992.
"Productivity shocks and real business cycles,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 191-208, April.
- Blanchard, Olivier Jean & Quah, Danny, 1989.
"The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 79(4), pages 655-73, September.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS programs to replicate Blanchard and Quah AER 1989," Statistical Software Components RTZ00017, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbances," NBER Working Papers 2737, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Jean Blanchard & Danny Quah, 1988. "The Dynamic Effects of Aggregate Demand and Supply Disturbance," Working papers 497, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "BQDODRAWS: RATS procedure to implement Monte Carlo draws from a VAR with Blanchard-Quah factorization," Statistical Software Components RTS00030, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 1989.
"Real Business Cycles: A New Keynesian Perspective,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 3(3), pages 79-90, Summer.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1990. "Market Power, Economic Profitability and Productivity Growth Measurement: An Integrated Structural Approach," NBER Working Papers 3355, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:1995:i:37-38:p:17 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kydland, Finn E & Prescott, Edward C, 1982.
"Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations,"
Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1345-70, November.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Executable program for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Finn E. Kydland & Edward C. Prescott, 1982. "Web interface for "Time to Build and Aggregate Fluctuations"," QM&RBC Codes 4a, Quantitative Macroeconomics & Real Business Cycles.
- Sneessens, Henri R., 1987. "Investment and the inflation-unemployment tradeoff in a macroeconomic rationing model with monopolistic competition," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 781-808, April.
- de la Croix, David, 1992. "Union-Firm Bargaining, Investment and Equilibrium Unemployment," Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales) 1992020, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Hairault, J.O. & Portier, F., 1992.
"Money New-Keynesian Macroeconomics and the Business Cycles,"
Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications
92.32, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Hairault, Jean-Olivier & Portier, Franck, 1993. "Money, New-Keynesian macroeconomics and the business cycle," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1533-1568, December.
- Bils, Mark, 1987. "The Cyclical Behavior of Marginal Cost and Price," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 77(5), pages 838-55, December.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1989. "Markup Behavior in Durable and Nondurable Manufacturing: A production Theory Approach," NBER Working Papers 2941, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fairise, X. & Langot, F., 1992. "Labor Productivity and Business Cycle : Can R.B.C. Models Be Saved?," Papiers d'Economie MathÃ©matique et Applications 92.39, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1991. "Monopolistic competition," Handbook of Mathematical Economics, in: W. Hildenbrand & H. Sonnenschein (ed.), Handbook of Mathematical Economics, edition 1, volume 4, chapter 37, pages 1997-2045 Elsevier.
- King, Robert G. & Plosser, Charles I. & Rebelo, Sergio T., 1988. "Production, growth and business cycles : II. New directions," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(2-3), pages 309-341.
- Richard Startz, 1989. "Monopolistic Competition as a Foundation for Keynesian Macroeconomic Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 104(4), pages 737-752.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1987. "Imperfect competition, unemployment and policy," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1-2), pages 417-426.
- Michael B. Devereux & Allen C. Head & Beverly J. Lapham, 1993. "Exit and Entry, Increasing Returns to Specialization, and Business Cycles," Working Papers 871, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ris:actuec:v:71:y:1995:i:2:p:218-249. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruce Shearer)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.