Démocratie et développement
[eng] Philippe MARCHESIN — Democracy and Development. This article is an updated attempt to synthesise a classical theme in development studies : the relationship between democracy and development. Far from the normative attitude of pedalling the dominant ideology of « market democracy », the empirical approach offers a contrasted view : the relationships between democracy and development do not amount to a direct reciprocal conditionality but consist of multiple indirect relationships. Recent works consecrated to human development at the internal level, or to matters of international relations and global government, place the democracy-development equation at the heart of analyses, which goes to demonstrate the prevailing character of the debate.
Volume (Year): 45 (2004)
Issue (Month): 179 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.persee.fr/collection/tiers|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clague, Christopher, et al, 1996. "Property and Contract Rights in Autocracies and Democracies," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 243-76, June.
- Ashutosh Varshney, 2002. "Poverty Eradication and Democracy in the Developing World," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2002-20, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135.
- Tavares, Jose & Wacziarg, Romain, 2001. "How democracy affects growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1341-1378, August.
- Clague, Christopher & Keefer, Philip & Knack, Stephen & Olson, Mancur, 1996. "Property and Contract Rights in Autocracies and Democracies," MPRA Paper 25720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prs:rtiers:tiers_1293-8882_2004_num_45_179_5507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.