Démocratie et développement
[eng] Philippe MARCHESIN — Democracy and Development. This article is an updated attempt to synthesise a classical theme in development studies : the relationship between democracy and development. Far from the normative attitude of pedalling the dominant ideology of « market democracy », the empirical approach offers a contrasted view : the relationships between democracy and development do not amount to a direct reciprocal conditionality but consist of multiple indirect relationships. Recent works consecrated to human development at the internal level, or to matters of international relations and global government, place the democracy-development equation at the heart of analyses, which goes to demonstrate the prevailing character of the debate.
Volume (Year): 45 (2004)
Issue (Month): 179 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.persee.fr/collection/tiers|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clague, Christopher & Keefer, Philip & Knack, Stephen & Olson, Mancur, 1996.
"Property and Contract Rights in Autocracies and Democracies,"
25720, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clague, Christopher & Keefer, Philip & Knack, Stephen & Olson, Mancur, 1996. "Property and Contract Rights in Autocracies and Democracies," Journal of Economic Growth, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 243-76, June.
- Tavares, Jose & Wacziarg, Romain, 2001. "How democracy affects growth," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(8), pages 1341-1378, August.
- Anthony Downs, 1957. "An Economic Theory of Political Action in a Democracy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65, pages 135.
- Ashutosh Varshney, 2002. "Poverty Eradication and Democracy in the Developing World," Human Development Occasional Papers (1992-2007) HDOCPA-2002-20, Human Development Report Office (HDRO), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:prs:rtiers:tiers_1293-8882_2004_num_45_179_5507. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Equipe PERSEE)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.