The Impacts of Economic Reforms and Trade Liberalisation on Agricultural Export Performance in Pakistan
Economic reforms and trade liberalisation policies have been widely adopted in developing countries in recent years. Pakistan is no exception. This paper focuses on the effects of economic reform policies on the agricultural export performance. A number of studies have investigated the effects of trade liberalisation on export growth in developing countries, and have reached inconclusive results. Some studies have identified positive effects of trade liberalisation on export performance [Krueger (1997); Bleaney (1999); and Ahmed (2002)], others confirmed an insignificant or even a negative relationship [Greenaway, et al. (1994); Jenkins (1996) and Greenaway, et al. (2002)]. There are number of reasons for conflicting conclusions including different researchers have used different indicators for liberalisation and different methods to analyse the effect; difference in the extent of liberalisation studies; most studies have analysed scenarios rather than evaluating the effects, and so on. The present study analyses agricultural trade policy of Pakistan and accesses the impact of trade liberalisation on agricultural export performance, especially diversification, competitiveness, and openness. The relative importance of domestic supply related factors such as tariffs, quotas, etc. compared with external demand factors in affecting agricultural export expansion is analysed with respect to (i) relative agricultural export growth, (ii) changes in market shares of (traditional) agricultural exports, and (iii) changes in the export commodity composition.
Volume (Year): 42 (2003)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Greenaway & David Sapsford, .
"What does Liberalisation do for Exports and Growth?,"
ec4/94, Department of Economics, University of Lancaster.
- David Greenaway & David Sapsford, 1994. "What does liberalisation do for exports and growth?," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 130(1), pages 152-174, March.
- repec:ltr:wpaper:1991.02 is not listed on IDEAS
- Pendell, Dustin L. & Schroeder, Ted C., 2004. "Spatial Market Integration In Regional Cattle Markets," 2004 Annual Meeting, June 30-July 2, 2004, Honolulu, Hawaii 36265, Western Agricultural Economics Association.
- Lahiri, Sajal & Nasim, Anjum & Ghani, Jawaid, 2000. "Optimal second-best tariffs on an intermediate input with particular reference to Pakistan," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2), pages 393-416, April.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Søren Johansen & Katarina Juselius, 1992.
"Identification of the Long-Run and the Short-Run Structure: An Application to the ISLM Model,"
92-04, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren & Juselius, Katarina, 1994. "Identification of the long-run and the short-run structure an application to the ISLM model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 7-36, July.
- Srinivasan, P. V. & Jha, Shikha, 2001. "Liberalized trade and domestic price stability. The case of rice and wheat in India," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 417-441, August.
- Fahim Al-Marhubi, 2000. "Export diversification and growth: an empirical investigation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(9), pages 559-562.
- Prema-chandra Athukorala, 1991.
"An Analysis of Demand and Supply Factors in Agricultural Exports from Developing Asian Countries,"
1991.02, School of Economics, La Trobe University.
- Athukorala, Prema-chandra, 1991. "An Analysis of Demand and Supply Factors in Agricultural Exports from Developing Asian Countries," 1991 Conference (35th), February 11-14, 1991, Armidale, Australia 145500, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Anne O. Krueger, 1997.
"Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn,"
NBER Working Papers
5896, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krueger, Anne O, 1997. "Trade Policy and Economic Development: How We Learn," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Hendry, David F, 1986. "Econometric Modelling with Cointegrated Variables: An Overview," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 201-12, August.
- Greenaway, David & Morgan, Wyn & Wright, Peter, 2002. "Trade liberalisation and growth in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 67(1), pages 229-244, February.
- Stephen Devadoss & Kent Lanclos, 2000. "Trade in imperfectly competitive industries: the role of market size and consumer preferences," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(9), pages 1189-1200.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:42:y:2003:i:4:p:941-960. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.