Affluence and Food: A Simple Way to Infer Incomes
Accurate and timely measures of cross-country real incomes are still a rarity. As the share of expenditure devoted to food is readily available, we use Engel's law in reciprocal form to measure affluence. Analysis of real income data for over 100 countries indicates that this approach is viable. To recognize the role of uncertainty in the analysis, we present the results in the form of stochastic cross-country income comparisons. Copyright 2010, Oxford University Press.
Volume (Year): 92 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 555 East Wells Street, Suite 1100, Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53202|
Phone: (414) 918-3190
Fax: (414) 276-3349
Web page: http://www.aaea.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Seale, James & Regmi, Anita & Bernstein, Jason, 2003.
"International Evidence on Food Consumption Patterns,"
184321, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Seale, James L., Jr. & Regmi, Anita & Bernstein, Jason, 2003. "International Evidence On Food Consumption Patterns," Technical Bulletins 33580, United States Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service.
- Bruce W. Hamilton, 2001. "Using Engel's Law to Estimate CPI Bias," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(3), pages 619-630, June.
- Clements, Kenneth W & Selvanathan, Antony & Selvanathan, Saroja, 1996.
"Applied Demand Analysis: A Survey,"
The Economic Record,
The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 72(216), pages 63-81, March.
- Duggar, Jan Warren, 1969. "International Comparisons of Income Levels: An Additional Measure," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 79(313), pages 109-16, March.
- Bhanoji Rao, V. V., 1981. "Measurement of deprivation and poverty based on the proportion spent on food: An exploratory exercise," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 337-353, April.
- Heston, Alan, 1973. "A Comparison of Some Short-Cut Methods of Estimating Real Product Per Capita," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 19(1), pages 79-104, March.
- van Praag, Bernard M S & Spit, Jan S & van de Stadt, Huib, 1982. "A Comparison between the Food Ratio Poverty Line and the Leyden Poverty Line," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(4), pages 691-94, November.
- David E. Sahn & David Stifel, 2003. "Exploring Alternative Measures of Welfare in the Absence of Expenditure Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 463-489, December.
- Barlow, Robin, 1977. "A Test of Alternative Methods of Making GNP Comparisons," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(347), pages 450-59, September.
- Beckerman, Wilfred & Bacon, Robert, 1970. "International Comparisons of Income Levels: an Additional Measure: Reply," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 80(318), pages 418-20, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oup:ajagec:v:92:y:2010:i:4:p:909-926. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Oxford University Press)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.