Population Growth and Economic Development: Test for Causality
This paper examines the existenceof a long-run relationship between population and per capita income in Pakistan for the period 1960-2001 using cointegration analysis. Unit root results show that population is integrated of order zero while per capita income is integrated of order one; further, Johansen’s procedure showthat no long-run cointegrating relationship exists. Thus, population growth neither causes per capita income growth nor is caused by it. A corollary is that population growth neither stimulates per capita income growth nor reduces it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2006)
Issue (Month): 2 (Jul-Dec)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kelley, Allen C, 1988. "Economic Consequences of Population Change in the Third World," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(4), pages 1685-1728, December.
- Anthony P. Thirwall, 1972.
"A Cross-Section Study of Population Growth and the Growth of Output and Per Capita Income in a Production Function Framework,"
406, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Industrial Relations Section..
- Thirlwall, A P, 1972. "A Cross Section Study of Population Growth and the Growth of Output and Per Capita Income in a Production Function Framework," The Manchester School of Economic & Social Studies, University of Manchester, vol. 40(4), pages 339-56, December.
- Christopher A. Sims, 1988.
"Bayesian skepticism on unit root econometrics,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
3, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Tom Doan, . "BAYESTST: RATS procedure to perform Bayesian Unit Root test," Statistical Software Components RTS00014, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Dickey, David A & Pantula, Sastry G, 1987. "Determining the Ordering of Differencing in Autoregressive Processes," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 5(4), pages 455-61, October.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
- Granger, C. W. J., 1988. "Some recent development in a concept of causality," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1-2), pages 199-211.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:11:y:2006:i:2:p:71-77. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.