Argentina’s crises and the Poor, 1995-2002
This paper documents the impact of Argentina’s recent economic crises on different aspects of poverty, with a special focus on the economic collapse of 2002. We discuss the methodology of poverty measurement in Argentina and we use a simple rule to compensate for the lack of regional poverty figures until 2001, providing consistent series of urban poverty estimates at the national and regional levels. We then present series of short term dynamics of poverty, decomposing the changes in every period of time with panel data. Finally, we analyse the determinants of poverty, with a focus on accounting for observed differences in income (and thereby poverty) between October 2001 and May 2002. Among other conclusions, we find in our decomposition analysis that households without the means to diversify their income sources suffered more than others from the crisis of 2002.
Volume (Year): IL (2003)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January-December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Calle 48 No555 - La Plata (1900)|
Phone: 21- 1466
Web page: http://www.depeco.econo.unlp.edu.ar/economica/ing/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Cowell & Magda Mercader-Prats, 1999. "Equivalence scales and inequality," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 2190, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Galiani, Sebastian & Hopenhayn, Hugo A., 2003.
"Duration and risk of unemployment in Argentina,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 71(1), pages 199-212, June.
- Sebastian Galiani & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2001. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Working Papers 40, Universidad de San Andres, Departamento de Economia, revised Dec 2001.
- Sebastian Galiani & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2001. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 476, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Sebastián Galiani and Hugo A. Hopenhayn., 2000. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C00-117, University of California at Berkeley.
- Sebasti=E1n Galiani & Hugo A. Hopenhayn, 2001. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Labor and Demography 0012002, EconWPA.
- Galiani, Sebastian & Hopenhayn, Hugo A., 2000. "Duration and Risk of Unemployment in Argentina," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers 233164, University of California-Berkeley, Department of Economics.
- Jorge A. Paz, 2002. "Una introducción a la dinámica de la pobreza en la Argentina," CEMA Working Papers: Serie Documentos de Trabajo. 226, Universidad del CEMA.
- Ravallion, Martin & Wodon, Quentin, 1997. "Poor areas, or only poor people?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1798, The World Bank.
- Coulter, Fiona A E & Cowell, Frank A & Jenkins, Stephen P, 1992. "Equivalence Scale Relativities and the Extent of Inequality and Poverty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 102(414), pages 1067-82, September.
- Oaxaca, Ronald, 1973. "Male-Female Wage Differentials in Urban Labor Markets," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 693-709, October.
- Guillermo Cruces & Quentin Wodon, 2007.
"Risk-adjusted poverty in Argentina: measurement and determinants,"
Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 1189-1214.
- Cruces, Guillermo Antonio & Wodon, Quentin, 2006. "Risk-adjusted poverty in Argentina: measurement and determinants," Financiamiento para el Desarrollo 182, Naciones Unidas Comisión Económica para América Latina y el Caribe (CEPAL).
- Guillermo Cruces & Quentin Wodon, 2003. "Risk-adjusted poverty in Argentina: measurement and determinants," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6550, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Alan S. Blinder, 1973. "Wage Discrimination: Reduced Form and Structural Estimates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 8(4), pages 436-455.
- Ravallion, M., 1998. "Poverty Lines in Theory and Practice," Papers 133, World Bank - Living Standards Measurement.
- Leonardo Gasparini & Walter Sosa Escudero, 1999. "Bienestar y distribución del ingreso en Argentina, 1980 – 1998," Económica, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, vol. 0(3), pages 183-217.
- Frank A Cowell & Magda Mercader-Prats, 1997. "Equivalence of Scales and Inequality (published in Income Inequality Measurement:From Theory to Practice, J Silber (ed), Dewenter: Kluver (1999)," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 27, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:9:y:2003:i:1:p:1-10 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lanjouw, Peter & Ravallion, Martin & DEC, 1994.
"Poverty and household size,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
1332, The World Bank.
- Paul Makdissi & Quentin Wodon, 2003. "Risk-adjusted measures of wage inequality and safety nets," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 9(1), pages 1-10.
- Foster, James & Greer, Joel & Thorbecke, Erik, 1984. "A Class of Decomposable Poverty Measures," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 761-66, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lap:journl:533. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Margarita Machelett)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.