A Basic Quantification of the Competitive Implications of the Demise of Arthur Andersen
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Kim, E Han & Singal, Vijay, 1993. "Mergers and Market Power: Evidence from the Airline Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 549-569, June.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1977.
"The Gains and Losses from Industrial Concentration,"
Journal of Law and Economics,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 20(2), pages 229-263, October.
- Sam Peltzman, 1977. "The Gains and Losses From Industrial Concentration," NBER Working Papers 0163, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Theodore Eisenberg & Jonathan Macey, "undated". "Was Arthur Andersen Different?: An Empirical Examination of Major Accounting Firms' Audits of Large Clients," Cornell Law School Working Papers cornell_clsops-1015, Cornell Law School.
- Doogar, Rajib & Easley, Robert F., 1998. "Concentration without differentiation: A new look at the determinants of audit market concentration," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(3), pages 235-253, June.
- Peltzman, Sam, 1979. "The Causes and Consequences of Rising Industrial Concentration: A Reply," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 209-211, April.
- Paul K. Chaney, 2002. "Shredded Reputation: The Cost of Audit Failure," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(4), pages 1221-1245, September.
- Borenstein, Severin, 1990. "Airline Mergers, Airport Dominance, and Market Power," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 80(2), pages 400-404, May.
- Tonge, Stanley D. & Wootton, Charles W., 1991. "Auditor concentration and competition among the large public accounting firms: Post-merger status and future implications," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 157-172.
- Allen N. Berger & Timothy H. Hannan, 1987. "The price-concentration relationship in banking," Research Papers in Banking and Financial Economics 100, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Sullivan, Mary W, 2002. "The Effect of the Big Eight Accounting Firm Mergers on the Market for Audit Services," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 45(2), pages 375-399, October.
- Scherer, F M, 1979. "The Causes and Consequences of Rising Industrial Concentration," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 22(1), pages 191-208, April.
- Gregory Werden, 2000. "Market Delineation under the Merger Guidelines: Monopoly Cases and Alternative Approaches," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer;The Industrial Organization Society, vol. 16(2), pages 211-218, March.
- Barton, David M & Sherman, Roger, 1984. "The Price and Profit Effects of Horizontal Merger: A Case Study," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 33(2), pages 165-177, December.
- Prager, Robin A & Hannan, Timothy H, 1998. "Do Substantial Horizontal Mergers Generate Significant Price Effects? Evidence from the Banking Industry," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(4), pages 433-452, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Joseph Gerakos & Chad Syverson, 2015.
"Competition in the Audit Market: Policy Implications,"
Journal of Accounting Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(4), pages 725-775, September.
- Joseph J. Gerakos & Chad Syverson, 2013. "Competition in the Audit Market: Policy Implications," NBER Working Papers 19251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evans, Lawrance & Schwartz, Jeremy, 2014. "The effect of concentration and regulation on audit fees: An application of panel data techniques," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 130-144.
- Fukukawa, Hironori & Karube, Masaru, 2013. "Audit Firm Switch and Engagement Partner Continuance," IIR Working Paper 13-05, Institute of Innovation Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Numan, Wieteke & Willekens, Marleen, 2012. "An empirical test of spatial competition in the audit market," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 450-465.
More about this item
KeywordsArthur Andersen; accounting; audit fees; market concentration; market power; structure-performance hypothesis;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:revind:v:29:y:2006:i:3:p:193-212. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla) or (Rebekah McClure). General contact details of provider: http://www.springer.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.