The impact of intraindustry trade on the natural rate of unemployment in two simple models
This paper builds in two popular versions of the theory of equilibrium unemployment into a world economy engaged purely in intraindustry trade of differentiated products. We show that free trade through increasing the range of varieties available for consumption and expanding economies of scale leads to a lowering of the equilibrium rates of unemployment in all participating countries. Thus, we demonstrate channels through which international trade alleviates the problem of high unemployment in each country engaged in pure intraindustry trade. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1994
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shapiro, Carl & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1984. "Equilibrium Unemployment as a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(3), pages 433-44, June.
- Miles S. Kimball, 1989.
"Labor Market Dynamics When Unemployment Is A Worker Discipline Device,"
NBER Working Papers
2967, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kimball, Miles S, 1994. "Labor-Market Dynamics When Unemployment is a Worker Discipline Device," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 84(4), pages 1045-59, September.
- Copeland, Brian R., 1989. "Efficiency wages in a Ricardian model of international trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(3-4), pages 221-244, November.
- Phelps, Edmund, 2015.
"Seven Schools of Macroeconomic Thought,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780198743903, June.
- Hoon, Hian Teck, 1991. "Comparative advantage and the equilibrium rate of unemployment," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 299-304, November.
- Brecher, Richard A., 1992. "An efficiency-wage model with explicit monitoring : Unemployment and welfare in an open economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(1-2), pages 179-191, February.
- Hoon, Hian Teck & Phelps, Edmund S, 1992. "Macroeconomic Shocks in a Dynamized Model of the Natural Rate of Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(4), pages 889-900, September.
- Edmund S. Phelps, 1968. "Money-Wage Dynamics and Labor-Market Equilibrium," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 76, pages 678.
- Salop, Steven C, 1979. "A Model of the Natural Rate of Unemployment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 69(1), pages 117-25, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:openec:v:5:y:1994:i:1:p:29-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.