â€œI Need You Too!â€\x9D Corporate Identity Attractiveness for Consumers and The Role of Social Responsibility
The extent to which people identify with an organization is dependent on the attractiveness of the organizational identity, which helps individuals satisfy one or more important self-definitional needs. However, little is known about the antecedents of company identity attractiveness (IA) in a consumerâ€“company context. Drawing on theories of social identity and organizational identification, a model of the antecedents of IA is developed and tested. The findings provide empirical validation of the relationship between IA and corporate associations perceived by consumers. Our results demonstrate that the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) contribution to company IA is much stronger than that of Corporate Ability (CA). This may be linked to increasing competition and of decreasing CA-based variation in the marketplace. Copyright Springer 2007
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fournier, Susan, 1998. " Consumers and Their Brands: Developing Relationship Theory in Consumer Research," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(4), pages 343-73, March.
- Stephens, Debra Lynn & Hill, Ronald Paul & Bergman, Karyn, 1996. "Enhancing the consumer-product relationship: Lessons from the QVC home shopping channel," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 193-200, November.
- Czepiel, John A., 1990. "Service encounters and service relationships: Implications for research," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 13-21, January.
- Webster, Frederick E, Jr, 1975. " Determining the Characteristics of the Socially Conscious Consumer," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(3), pages 188-96, December.
- Johnson, Devon & Grayson, Kent, 2005. "Cognitive and affective trust in service relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 500-507, April.
- Balazs, Anne L., 1990. "Value congruency : The case of the "socially responsible" firm," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 171-181, March.
- N. Sheth, Jagdish & Parvatiyar, Atul, 1995. "Relationship marketing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 4(4), pages 391-396.
- Belk, Russell W, 1988. " Possessions and the Extended Self," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 15(2), pages 139-68, September.
- McCracken, Grant, 1986. " Culture and Consumption: A Theoretical Account of the Structure and Movement of the Cultural Meaning of Consumer Goods," Journal of Consumer Research, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(1), pages 71-84, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:jbuset:v:71:y:2007:i:3:p:245-260. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.