One-Way Treaty with the World: The U.S. Withholding Tax and the Netherlands Antilles
This paper chronicles the experiences of the U.S. withholding tax on interest income. In 1984, the U.S. repealed its 30 percent withholding tax on interest income paid to foreign persons or corporations. While the tax raised little revenue, it had imposed substantial implicit costs on U.S. corporate borrowers. Since, prior to repeal, domestically issued bonds were subject either to withholding or strict information requirements, many U.S. multinationals raised funds through foreign finance subsidiaries, primarily in the Netherlands Antilles, to avoid the tax. Although the withholding tax rate was effectively reduced to zero in the U.S., this paper demonstrates that interest flows were highly sensitive to their after-tax cost. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2000
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James R. Hines, Jr. & Eric M. Rice, 1990.
"Fiscal Paradise: Foreign Tax Havens and American Business,"
NBER Working Papers
3477, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James R. Hines & Eric M. Rice, 1994. "Fiscal Paradise: Foreign Tax Havens and American Business," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 109(1), pages 149-182.
- Hines, J.R. & Rice, E.M., 1990. "Fiscal Paradise: Foreign Tax Havens And American Business," Papers 56, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - Discussion Paper.
- Harry Huizinga, 1994.
"International interest withholding taxation: Prospects for a common European policy,"
International Tax and Public Finance,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 277-291, October.
- Huizinga, H.P., 1994. "International interest withholding taxation : Prospects for a common European policy," Other publications TiSEM 3d92ccee-19e6-4a36-8a00-3, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Harry Grubert & Joel Slemrod, 1994.
"The Effect of Taxes on Investment and Income Shifting to Puerto Rico,"
NBER Working Papers
4869, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harry Grubert & Joel Slemrod, 1998. "The Effect Of Taxes On Investment And Income Shifting To Puerto Rico," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(3), pages 365-373, August.
- Michael Devereux & Harold Freeman, 1995. "The impact of tax on foreign direct investment: Empirical evidence and the implications for tax integration schemes," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 85-106, February.
- Leslie E. Papke, 1989. "International Differences in Capital Taxation and Corporate Borrowing Behavior: Evidence from the U.S. Withholding Tax," NBER Working Papers 3129, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jack Mintz & Henry Tulkens, 1984. "Commodity Tax Competition Between Member States of a Federation," Working Papers 558, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:itaxpf:v:7:y:2000:i:3:p:295-313. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Rebekah McClure)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.