Unionization, Unemployment, and Growth in Korea: A Cointegration Approach
Thanks to numerous empirical research studies, a general consensus has been reached on the effects of labor unionization on the economy such as unemployment and economic growth (GDP). However, most of the previous research examines the effects of labor unionization on the U.S. and U.K. labor markets using multiple regression models. By applying different statistical tools (multivariate cointegration analysis and vector error correction model) to Korean data, this paper finds: (1) there is a long-run equilibrium linkage among unionization, unemployment and economic growth; and (2) unionization unidirectionally and significantly Granger-causes unemployment and economic growth. Copyright International Atlantic Economic Society 2005
Volume (Year): 33 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (404) 965-1555
Fax: (404) 965-1556
Web page: http://springerlink.metapress.com/link.asp?id=112055
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lewis, H Gregg, 1983. "Union Relative Wage Effects: A Survey of Macro Estimates," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 1(1), pages 1-27, January.
- Sims, Christopher A, 1980. "Macroeconomics and Reality," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(1), pages 1-48, January.
- Richard Vedder & Lowell Gallaway, 2002. "The Economic Effects of Labor Unions Revisited," Journal of Labor Research, Transaction Publishers, vol. 23(1), pages 105-130, January.
- Jae-Kwang Hwang, 2003. "Dynamic forecasting of sticky-price monetary exchange rate model," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 31(1), pages 103-114, March.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Peter D. Linneman & Michael L. Wachter & William H. Carter, 1990. "Evaluating the evidence on union employment and wages," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 44(1), pages 34-53, October.
- David A. Dickey & Dennis W. Jansen & Daniel L. Thornton, 1991. "A primer on cointegration with an application to money and income," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Mar, pages 58-78.
- David Metcalf, 1993. "Industrial Relations and Economic Performance," CEP Discussion Papers dp0129, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-72, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:kap:atlecj:v:33:y:2005:i:2:p:225-233. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.