The Impact of the Revenue Reconciliation Act of 1993 on the Pricing Structure of Equity REITs
Tax legislation included in the Revenue Reconciliation Act of 1993 made large-scale investments in equity real estate investment trusts (REITs) more desirable to institutional investors. Other studies have observed an increased level of institutional ownership in REITs during the timeframe following passage of the act. Based on an analysis of equity REITs before and after passage of the Act, the present study finds that its passage coincided with a significant change in the role of unsystematic risk in the pricing of equity REITs.
Volume (Year): 19 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: American Real Estate Society Clemson University School of Business & Behavioral Science Department of Finance 401 Sirrine Hall Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web page: http://www.aresnet.org/
|Order Information:|| Postal: Diane Quarles American Real Estate Society Manager of Member Services Clemson University Box 341323 Clemson, SC 29634-1323|
Web: http://pages.jh.edu/jrer/about/get.htm Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990.
"Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs,"
Real Estate Economics,
American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 18(4), pages 431-452.
- K.C. Chan & Patric H. Hendershott & Anthony B. Sanders, 1990. "Risk and Return on Real Estate: Evidence from Equity REITs," NBER Working Papers 3311, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Su Han Chan & Wai Kin Leung & Ko Wang, 1998. "Institutional Investment in REITs: Evidence and Implications," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 16(3), pages 357-374.
- James L. Kuhle, 1987. "Portfolio Diversification and Return Benefits--Common Stock vs. Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs)," Journal of Real Estate Research, American Real Estate Society, vol. 2(2), pages 1-9.
- McDonald, Cynthia G & Nixon, Terry D & Slawson, V Carlos, Jr, 2000. "The Changing Asymmetric Information Component of REIT Spreads: A Study of Anticipated Announcements," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 195-210, March.
- Glascock, John L & Lu, Chiuling & So, Raymond W, 2000. "Further Evidence on the Integration of REIT, Bond, and Stock Returns," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 177-94, March.
- Liu, Crocker H & Mei, Jianping, 1992. "The Predictability of Returns on Equity REITs and Their Co-movement with Other Assets," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 401-18, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:jre:issued:v:19:n:3:2000:p:275-285. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (JRER Graduate Assistant/Webmaster)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.