Newsvendor Bounds and Heuristic for Optimal Policies in Serial Supply Chains
We consider the classic N-stage serial supply systems with linear costs and stationary random demands. There are deterministic transportation leadtimes between stages, and unsatisfied demands are backlogged. The optimal inventory policy for this system is known to be an echelon base-stock policy, which can be computed through minimizing N nested convex functions recursively. To identify the key determinants of the optimal policy, we develop a simple and surprisingly good heuristic. This method minimizes 2Nseparate newsvendor-type cost functions, each of which uses the original problem data only. These functions are lower and upper bounds for the echelon cost functions; their minimizers form bounds for the optimal echelon base-stock levels. The heuristic is the simple average of the solution bounds. In extensive numerical experiments, the average relative error of the heuristic is 0.24%, with the maximum error less than 1.5%. The bounds and the heuristic, which can be easily obtained by simple spreadsheet calculations, enhance the accessibility and implementability of the multiechelon inventory theory. More importantly, the closed-form expressions provide an analytical tool for us to gain insights into issues such as system bottlenecks, effects of system parameters, and coordination mechanisms in decentralized systems.
Volume (Year): 49 (2003)
Issue (Month): 5 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fangruo Chen, 1999. "Decentralized Supply Chains Subject to Information Delays," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(8), pages 1076-1090, August.
- Gérard P. Cachon & Paul H. Zipkin, 1999. "Competitive and Cooperative Inventory Policies in a Two-Stage Supply Chain," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(7), pages 936-953, July.
- Guillermo Gallego, 1998. "New Bounds and Heuristics for (Q, r) Policies," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(2), pages 219-233, February.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 2004.
"Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem,"
INFORMS, vol. 50(12_supple), pages 1782-1790, December.
- Andrew J. Clark & Herbert Scarf, 1960. "Optimal Policies for a Multi-Echelon Inventory Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(4), pages 475-490, July.
- Sven Axsäter & Kaj Rosling, 1993. "Notes: Installation vs. Echelon Stock Policies for Multilevel Inventory Control," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(10), pages 1274-1280, October.
- Fangruo Chen & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 1994. "Lower Bounds for Multi-Echelon Stochastic Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(11), pages 1426-1443, November.
- van Houtum, G. J. & Inderfurth, K. & Zijm, W. H. M., 1996. "Materials coordination in stochastic multi-echelon systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 95(1), pages 1-23, November.
- Evan L. Porteus, 2000. "Responsibility Tokens in Supply Chain Management," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 203-219, October.
- Hau Lee & Seungjin Whang, 1999. "Decentralized Multi-Echelon Supply Chains: Incentives and Information," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 45(5), pages 633-640, May.
- Guillermo Gallego & Paul Zipkin, 1999. "Stock Positioning and Performance Estimation in Serial Production-Transportation Systems," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 1(1), pages 77-88.
- Jing-Sheng Song, 1994. "The Effect of Leadtime Uncertainty in a Simple Stochastic Inventory Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(5), pages 603-613, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:49:y:2003:i:5:p:618-638. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.