A Comparison of Graphical Techniques for Asymmetric Decision Problems
We compare four graphical techniques for representation and solution of asymmetric decision problems---decision trees, influence diagrams, valuation networks, and sequential decision diagrams. We solve a modified version of Covaliu and Oliver's Reactor problem using each of the four techniques. For each technique, we highlight the strengths, weaknesses, and some open issues that perhaps can be resolved with further research.
Volume (Year): 45 (1999)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Guo, Rui & Shenoy, Prakash P., 1996. "A note on Kirkwood's algebraic method for decision problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(3), pages 628-638, September.
- Smith, J. Q., 1989. "Influence diagrams for Bayesian decision analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 363-376, June.
- Craig W. Kirkwood, 1993. "An Algebraic Approach to Formulating and Solving Large Models for Sequential Decisions Under Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(7), pages 900-913, July.
- Zvi Covaliu & Robert M. Oliver, 1995. "Representation and Solution of Decision Problems Using Sequential Decision Diagrams," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(12), pages 1860-1881, December.
- Prakash Shenoy, 1998. "Game Trees For Decision Analysis," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 44(2), pages 149-171, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:45:y:1999:i:11:p:1552-1569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.