Clearance Pricing and Inventory Policies for Retail Chains
Clearance pricing and end of season inventory management are challenging and important problems in retailing. Sales rates depend upon price, seasonal effects, and the remaining assortment of items available to customers. There is little time to react to observed sales, and pricing errors result in either loss of potential revenue or excess inventory to be liquidated. This paper develops optimal clearance prices and inventory management policies that take into account the impact of reduced assortment and seasonal changes on sales rates. Versions of these policies have been tested and implemented at three major retail chains and these applications are summarized and discussed.
Volume (Year): 44 (1998)
Issue (Month): 3 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 7240 Parkway Drive, Suite 300, Hanover, MD 21076 USA|
Web page: http://www.informs.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Samuel Karlin, 1960. "Dynamic Inventory Policy with Varying Stochastic Demands," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(3), pages 231-258, April.
- Jehoshua Eliashberg & Richard Steinberg, 1987. "Marketing-Production Decisions in an Industrial Channel of Distribution," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(8), pages 981-1000, August.
- Howard Kunreuther & Linus Schrage, 1973. "Joint Pricing and Inventory Decisions for Constant Priced Items," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(7), pages 732-738, March.
- Pashigian, B Peter, 1988. "Demand Uncertainty and Sales: A Study of Fashion and Markdown Pricin g," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 78(5), pages 936-953, December.
- Guillermo Gallego & Garrett van Ryzin, 1994. "Optimal Dynamic Pricing of Inventories with Stochastic Demand over Finite Horizons," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 40(8), pages 999-1020, August.
- Arvind Rajan & Richard Rakesh, 1992. "Dynamic Pricing and Ordering Decisions by a Monopolist," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 38(2), pages 240-262, February.
- Kunreuther, H. & Richard, J.-F., "undated".
"Optimal pricing and inventory decisions for non-seasonal items,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
77, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Kunreuther, Howard & Richard, Jean Francois, 1971. "Optimal Pricing and Inventory Decisions for Non-Seasonal Items," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(1), pages 173-175, January.
- Lazear, Edward P, 1986.
"Retail Pricing and Clearance Sales,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 14-32, March.
- Gabriel R. Bitran & Susana V. Mondschein, 1997. "Periodic Pricing of Seasonal Products in Retailing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 43(1), pages 64-79, January.
- Ruth N. Bolton, 1989. "The Relationship Between Market Characteristics and Promotional Price Elasticities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 8(2), pages 153-169.
- Joseph Thomas, 1970. "Price-Production Decisions with Deterministic Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 16(11), pages 747-750, July.
- Shlomo Kalish, 1985. "A New Product Adoption Model with Price, Advertising, and Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(12), pages 1569-1585, December.
- Shlomo Kalish, 1983. "Monopolist Pricing with Dynamic Demand and Production Cost," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 2(2), pages 135-159.
- Kirthi Kalyanam, 1996. "Pricing Decisions Under Demand Uncertainty: A Bayesian Mixture Model Approach," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 15(3), pages 207-221.
- Nancy L. Stokey, 1979. "Intertemporal Price Discrimination," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 93(3), pages 355-371.
- David J. Braden & Shmuel S. Oren, 1994. "Nonlinear Pricing to Produce Information," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 13(3), pages 310-326.
- David Besanko & Wayne L. Winston, 1990. "Optimal Price Skimming by a Monopolist Facing Rational Consumers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 36(5), pages 555-567, May.
- Chakravarthi Narasimhan, 1984. "A Price Discrimination Theory of Coupons," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 3(2), pages 128-147.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:inm:ormnsc:v:44:y:1998:i:3:p:285-300. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mirko Janc)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.