Costs associated with mutual funds in Spain
This study examines the mutual fund market in Spain from the point of view of management and custodial costs. For this purpose it estimates functions explaining these fees using ordinary least squares and panel data. The results confirm that the most relevant factors in determining the management fee are the risk incurred by the managed portfolio, the level of its cash holding, and the number of shareholders in relation to the size of the fund. In addition, it highlights two aspects of the Spanish market with respect to the results obtained by similar studies in the North American market and in some European countries (Finland, Italy): first, the lack of a learning curve reducing operational costs, and, second, the lack of economies of scale in the management costs. Copyright © 2009 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Volume (Year): 15 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.interscience.wiley.com/jpages/1076-9307/|
|Order Information:||Web: http://jws-edcv.wiley.com/jcatalog/JournalsCatalogOrder/JournalOrder?PRINT_ISSN=1076-9307|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arellano, Manuel & Bond, Stephen, 1991.
"Some Tests of Specification for Panel Data: Monte Carlo Evidence and an Application to Employment Equations,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(2), pages 277-97, April.
- Tom Doan, . "RATS program to replicate Arellano-Bond 1991 dynamic panel," Statistical Software Components RTZ00169, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Vance P. Lesseig & D. Michael Long & Thomas I. Smythe, 2002. "Gains to Mutual Fund Sponsors Offering Multiple Share Class Funds," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 25(1), pages 81-98.
- Malhotra, D K & McLeod, Robert W, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis of Mutual Fund Expenses," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 175-90, Summer.
- Arellano, Manuel, 1993. "On the testing of correlated effects with panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-2), pages 87-97, September.
- Griliches, Zvi & Hausman, Jerry A., 1986.
"Errors in variables in panel data,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 93-118, February.
- D. K. Malhotra & Robert W. McLeod, 1997. "An Empirical Analysis Of Mutual Fund Expenses," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 20(2), pages 175-190, 06.
- Joseph Golec, 2003. "Regulation And The Rise In Asset-Based Mutual Fund Management Fees," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 26(1), pages 19-30.
- Erik R. Sirri & Peter Tufano, 1998. "Costly Search and Mutual Fund Flows," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1589-1622, October.
- Ippolito, Richard A, 1992. "Consumer Reaction to Measures of Poor Quality: Evidence from the Mutual Fund Industry," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 35(1), pages 45-70, April.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Geranio, Manuela & Zanotti, Giovanna, 2005. "Can mutual funds characteristics explain fees?," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 15(4-5), pages 354-376, October.
- Gil Bazo, Javier & Martínez Sedano, Miguel Angel, 2004. "The Black Box of Mutual Fund Fees," DFAEII Working Papers 2004-01, University of the Basque Country - Department of Foundations of Economic Analysis II.
- Berkowitz, Michael K. & Kotowitz, Yehuda, 2002. "Managerial quality and the structure of management expenses in the US mutual fund industry," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 315-330.
- Brown, Stephen J, et al, 1992. "Survivorship Bias in Performance Studies," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(4), pages 553-80.
- Dellva, Wilfred L & Olson, Gerard T, 1998. "The Relationship between Mutual Fund Fees and Expenses and Their Effects on Performance," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 33(1), pages 85-103, February.
- Timo P. Korkeamaki & Thomas I. Smythe, 2004. "Effects of Market Segmentation and Bank Concentration on Mutual Fund Expenses and Returns: Evidence from Finland," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 10(3), pages 413-438.
- Mark M. Carhart & Jennifer N. Carpenter & Anthony W. Lynch & David K. Musto, 2002. "Mutual Fund Survivorship," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(5), pages 1439-1463.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Blake, Christopher R, 1996. "Survivorship Bias and Mutual Fund Performance," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(4), pages 1097-1120.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijf:ijfiec:v:15:y:2010:i:2:p:165-179. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing)or (Christopher F. Baum)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.