On IPO Market Anomalies through the Emerging Stock Market in Taiwan
This study investigates the long-term performance of initial public offering (IPO) firms in Taiwan since it established a pre-IPO market, the Emerging Stock Market (ESM), starting in 2002. The analytical results indicate that IPO firms in Taiwan suffer long-term post-issue deterioration in operating performance, and the difference in deterioration between ESM and direct listing firms is more significant for the Taiwan Stock Exchange than for the Gre Tai Securities Market. This phenomenon can be explained by the overly-optimistic-market-expectations and the window-of-opportunity hypotheses; however, managerial ownership control variables are not statistically significant.
Volume (Year): 9 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ijbe.org/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benveniste, Lawrence M. & Spindt, Paul A., 1989. "How investment bankers determine the offer price and allocation of new issues," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 343-361.
- Kutsuna, Kenji & Okamura, Hideo & Cowling, Marc, 2002. "Ownership structure pre- and post-IPOs and the operating performance of JASDAQ companies," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 163-181, April.
- Chan, Kalok & Wang, Junbo & Wei, K. C. John, 2004. "Underpricing and long-term performance of IPOs in China," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(3), pages 409-430, June.
- Nohel, Tom & Tarhan, Vefa, 1998. "Share repurchases and firm performance:: new evidence on the agency costs of free cash flow," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 187-222, August.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1997. " The Operating Performance of Firms Conducting Seasoned Equity Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1823-50, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ijb:journl:v:9:y:2010:i:1:p:57-76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yi-Ju Su)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.