Coalition Formation among Farsighted Agents
A set of coalition structures P is farsightedly stable (i) if all possible deviations from any coalition structure p belonging to P to a coalition structure outside P are deterred by the threat of ending worse off or equally well off, (ii) if there exists a farsighted improvingpath from any coalition structure outside the set leading to some coalition structure in the set, and (iii) if there is no proper subset of P satisfying the first two conditions. A non-empty farsightedly stable set always exists. We provide a characterization of unique farsightedly stable sets of coalition structures and we study the relationship between farsighted stability and other concepts such as the largest consistent set and the von Neumann-Morgenstern farsightedly stable set. Finally, we illustrate our results by means of coalition formation games with positive spillovers.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ray, D. & Vohra, R., 1996.
"A Theory of Endogenous Coalition Structure,"
68, Boston University - Industry Studies Programme.
- Barbera, Salvador & Gerber, Anke, 2003.
"Corrigendum to "On coalition formation: durable coalition structures": [Mathematical Social Sciences 45 (2003) 185-203],"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 355-356, December.
- Barbera, Salvador & Gerber, Anke, 2003. "On coalition formation: durable coalition structures," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 185-203, April.
- Jean-Jacques HERINGS & Ana MAULEON & Vincent J. VANNETELBOSCH, 2001.
"Rationalizability for Social Environments,"
Discussion Papers (IRES - Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales)
2001028, Université catholique de Louvain, Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociales (IRES).
- Hideo Konishi & Debraj Ray, 2000.
"Coalition Formation as a Dynamic Process,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
478, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 15 Apr 2002.
- Yi, Sang-Seung, 1997. "Stable Coalition Structures with Externalities," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 201-237, August.
- Effrosyni Diamantoudi & Licun Xue, 2003.
"Farsighted stability in hedonic games,"
Social Choice and Welfare,
Springer;The Society for Social Choice and Welfare, vol. 21(1), pages 39-61, 08.
- Ana Mauleon & Vincent Vannetelbosch, 2004.
"Farsightedness and Cautiousness in Coalition Formation Games with Positive Spillovers,"
Theory and Decision,
Springer, vol. 56(3), pages 291-324, 05.
- MAULEON, Ana & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent, . "Farsightedness and cautiousness in coalition formation games with positive spillovers," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1729, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Licun Xue, 1998. "Coalitional stability under perfect foresight," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 11(3), pages 603-627.
- Bloch, Francis, 1996. "Sequential Formation of Coalitions in Games with Externalities and Fixed Payoff Division," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 90-123, May.
- Herings, P. Jean-Jacques & Mauleon, Ana & Vannetelbosch, Vincent, 2009.
"Farsightedly stable networks,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 526-541, November.
- HERINGS, Jean-Jacques & MAULEON, Ana & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent, 2006. "Farsightedly stable networks," CORE Discussion Papers 2006092, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Jean-Jacques, HERINGS & Ana, MAULEON & Vincent, VANNETELBOSCH, 2006. "Farsightedly stable networks," Discussion Papers (ECON - Département des Sciences Economiques) 2006046, Université catholique de Louvain, Département des Sciences Economiques.
- Herings P. Jean-Jacques & Mauleon Ana & Vannetelbosch Vincent, 2006. "Farsightedly Stable Networks," Research Memorandum 041, Maastricht University, Maastricht Research School of Economics of Technology and Organization (METEOR).
- HERINGS, Jean-Jacques & MAULEON, Ana & VANNETELBOSCH, Vincent, . "Farsightedly stable networks," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2171, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Mariotti, Marco, 1997. "A Model of Agreements in Strategic Form Games," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 74(1), pages 196-217, May.
- Hart, Sergiu & Kurz, Mordecai, 1983. "Endogenous Formation of Coalitions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(4), pages 1047-64, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jgames:v:1:y:2010:i:3:p:286-298:d:9473. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.