Wealth effects of bank holding company securities issuance and loan growth under the risk-based capital requirements
This paper tests a two-part hypothesis: first, that during the period between publication of the risk-based capital requirements in early 1989 and the end of 1992, bank holding companies (BHCs) faced a statistically significant decrease in stock returns if they issued new common stock; second, that this discouraged new common stock issuance and therefore, in effect, forced BHCs with Tier 1 and/or leverage capital-to-assets ratios below the regulatory minima to decrease loans outstanding more than did BHCs deficient only in their total capital ratios. Empirical evidence supporting both parts of the hypothesis is presented.
Volume (Year): (1994)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 7702, San Francisco, CA 94120-7702|
Phone: (415) 974-2000
Fax: (415) 974-3333
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Larry D. Wall & Pamela P. Peterson, 1988.
"Valuation effects of new capital issues by large bank holding companies,"
FRB Atlanta Working Paper
88-7, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Larry D. Wall, 1989. "Valuation effects of new capital issues by large bank holding companies," Proceedings 231, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Frederick T. Furlong, 1993. "Adequate's not good enough," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue sep22.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-51, September.
- Smith, Clifford Jr., 1986. "Investment banking and the capital acquisition process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 3-29.
- Wansley, James W & Dhillon, Upinder S, 1989. "Determinants of Valuation Effects for Security Offerings of Commercial Bank Holding Companies," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 12(3), pages 217-33, Fall.
- Asquith, Paul & Mullins, David Jr., 1986. "Equity issues and offering dilution," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 61-89.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Michael C. Keeley, 1989. "The stock price effects of bank holding company securities issuance," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Win, pages 3-19.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- James W. Wansley & Upinder S. Dhillon, 1989. "Determinants Of Valuation Effects For Security Offerings Of Commercial Bank Holding Companies," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 12(3), pages 217-233, 09.
- Mikkelson, Wayne H. & Partch, M. Megan, 1986. "Valuation effects of security offerings and the issuance process," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1-2), pages 31-60.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedfer:y:1994:p:30-41:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.