On the behaviour of the Finnish stock index options markets
In this paper put-call-futures (PCF) parity and put-call-spot (PCS) parity are tested all the new Finnish stock index derivatives markets. Two levels of transaction costs are cOnsidered. Using daily closing price data, we find that, in particular, PCS parity is violated. The violations are due to the fact that the puts have been overpriced compared to the calls. The results suggest that the absence of an institutional framework for short selling of stocks is a factor contributing to discrepancies from price parities. Thus, option pricing in Finland is based on the futures price more than on the underlying index.
Volume (Year): 5 (1992)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brenner, Menachem & Galai, Dan, 1986. "Implied Interest Rates," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 59(3), pages 493-507, July.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Levy, Haim, 1985. " Upper and Lower Bounds of Put and Call Option Value: Stochastic Dominance Approach," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1197-1217, September.
- Phillips, Susan M. & Smith, Clifford Jr., 1980. "Trading costs for listed options : The implications for market efficiency," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 8(2), pages 179-201, June.
- Cornell, Bradford & French, Kenneth R, 1983. " Taxes and the Pricing of Stock Index Futures," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(3), pages 675-94, June.
- Bhattacharya, Mihir, 1983. "Transactions data tests of efficiency of the Chicago board options exchange," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 161-185, August.
- Galai, Dan, 1978. "Empirical tests of boundary conditions for CBOE options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(2-3), pages 187-211.
- Keim, Donald B., 1989. "Trading patterns, bid-ask spreads, and estimated security returns : The case of common stocks at calendar turning points," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 75-97, November.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1969. "The Relationship between Put and Call Option Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 24(5), pages 801-24, December.
- Stoll, Hans R, 1973. "The Relationship Between Put and Call Option Prices: Reply," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 28(1), pages 185-87, March.
- Klemkosky, Robert C & Resnick, Bruce G, 1979. "Put-Call Parity and Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 34(5), pages 1141-55, December.
- Frankfurter, George M & Leung, Wai K, 1991. "Further Analysis of the Put-Call Parity Implied Risk-Free Interest Rate," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 14(3), pages 217-32, Fall.
- Gould, J. P. & Galai, D., 1974. "Transactions costs and the relationship between put and call prices," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 105-129, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:5:y:1992:i:2:p:117-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.