The oil crises: The reason for Finnish stagflation
In this article Michael Bruno and Jeffrey Sachs' theOrY of stagflation in the 1970's is evaluated with regard to Finland. They argue that a rise in the price of energy and raw materials together with real wage rigidity caused profit rates and demand for labour to fall. Theoretical and empirical arguments concerning the validity of Bruno and Sachs' theory are dealt with. The results of a wage equation study show some negative response in real wages when the price of materials rises.
Volume (Year): 2 (1989)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Oswald, Andrew J, 1985. " The Economic Theory of Trade Unions: An Introductory Survey," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 160-93.
- Gray, Jo Anna, 1976. "Wage indexation: A macroeconomic approach," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 221-235, April.
- Sargan, John Denis & Bhargava, Alok, 1983. "Testing Residuals from Least Squares Regression for Being Generated by the Gaussian Random Walk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(1), pages 153-74, January.
- Hall, S G, 1986. "An Application of the Granger & Engle Two-Step Estimation Procedure to United Kingdom Aggregate Wage Data," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 48(3), pages 229-39, August.
- Engle, Robert F. & Yoo, Byung Sam, 1987. "Forecasting and testing in co-integrated systems," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 143-159, May.
- Helliwell, John F, 1988. "Comparative Macroeconomics of Stagflation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(1), pages 1-28, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:2:y:1989:i:2:p:176-189. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.