Partner leasing in Sweden : a case study in financial innovation and re-regulation
Partner leasing is a form of financial leasing which is driven primarily by tax considerations. We discuss how partner leasing flourished in Sweden as a financial innovation in response to particular tax rules around 1983, and how the authorities attempted to eliminate it. Specific reference is made to the Tjädern case, an authentic and sophisticated piece of financial engineering. The lowering of the corporate income tax rate through the 1991 tax reform and the subsequent fall in interest rates seem to have made partner leasing relatively uninteresting today as a corporate tax planning device.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 1 (Spring)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Franks, Julian R & Hodges, Stewart D, 1978. "Valuation of Financial Lease Contracts: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 657-669, May.
- Kane, Edward J, 1981.
"Accelerating Inflation, Technological Innovation, and the Decreasing Effectiveness of Banking Regulation,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 36(2), pages 355-367, May.
- Edward J. Kane, 1981. "Accelerating Inflation, Technological Innovation, and the Decreasing Effectiveness of Banking Regulation," NBER Working Papers 0638, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Levy, Haim & Sarnat, Marchall, 1979. "On Leasing, Borrowing and Financial Risk," University of California at Los Angeles, Anderson Graduate School of Management qt5mr7g75s, Anderson Graduate School of Management, UCLA.
- Miller, Merton H., 1986. "Financial Innovation: The Last Twenty Years and the Next," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 459-471, December.
- Robert C. Merton, 1992. "Financial Innovation And Economic Performance," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 4(4), pages 12-22.
- Myers, Stewart C & Dill, David A & Bautista, Alberto J, 1976. "Valuation of Financial Lease Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(3), pages 799-819, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:11:y:1998:i:1:p:3-18. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.