Do emerging market firms follow different dividend policies?: Empirical investigation on the pre- and post-reform dividend policy and behaviour of Dhaka Stock Exchange listed firms
Purpose – This study aims to investigate the behaviour of pay-out policy of Dhaka Stock Exchange (DSE) listed firms preceding and following financial crisis to see whether dividend policy appears as significant measure to protect the general shareholders' interest following the crisis in 1997-1998. Design/methodology/approach – Ordinary least square models are tested on DSE data preceding (1988-1997) and following the financial crisis (1999-2003), on which no other study has been conducted yet. Findings – The empirical results fail to trace noticeable improvements in pay-out policy following the market crisis. Research limitations/implications – Dividend policy does not appear as a significant measure to protect the shareholders' interest in the emerging market of Bangladesh and regulatory reforms following the financial crisis in 1997-1998 appears as ineffective in Bangladesh. Originality/value – The unique features of this study are that it is the first study of this kind in the stock market of Bangladesh and the data are captured preceding and following the financial crisis in 1997-1998.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 28 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=sef Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Easterbrook, Frank H, 1984. "Two Agency-Cost Explanations of Dividends," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 650-59, September.
- Brennan, Michael J & Thakor, Anjan V, 1990.
" Shareholder Preferences and Dividend Policy,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 45(4), pages 993-1018, September.
- Paul D Koch & Catherine Shenoy, 1999. "The Information Content of Dividend and Capital Structure Policies," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 28(4), Winter.
- Miller, Merton H. & Scholes, Myron S., 1978. "Dividends and taxes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 333-364, December.
- Aivazian, Varouj & Booth, Laurence & Cleary, Sean, 2003. "Dividend policy and the organization of capital markets," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 101-121, April.
- Kane, Alex & Lee, Young Ki & Marcus, Alan, 1984.
" Earnings and Dividend Announcements: Is There a Corroboration Effect?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1091-99, September.
- Alex Kane & Young Ki Lee & Alan J. Marcus, 1983. "Earnings and Dividend Announcements is there a Corroboration Effect?," NBER Working Papers 1248, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- DeAngelo, Harry & Masulis, Ronald W, 1980. " Leverage and Dividend Irrelevancy under Corporate and Personal Taxation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 453-64, May.
- Chaplinsky, Susan & Seyhun, H Nejat, 1990. "Dividends and Taxes: Evidence on Tax-Reduction Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(2), pages 239-60, April.
- Jensen, Gerald R. & Solberg, Donald P. & Zorn, Thomas S., 1992. "Simultaneous Determination of Insider Ownership, Debt, and Dividend Policies," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 27(02), pages 247-263, June.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
- Penman, Stephen H, 1983. " The Predictive Content of Earnings Forecasts and Dividends," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1181-99, September.
- Higgins, Robert C., 1972. "The Corporate Dividend-Saving Decision," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 1527-1541, March.
- Miller, Merton H & Scholes, Myron S, 1982. "Dividends and Taxes: Some Empirical Evidence," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(6), pages 1118-41, December.
- Litzenberger, Robert H. & Ramaswamy, Krishna, 1979. "The effect of personal taxes and dividends on capital asset prices : Theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 163-195, June.
- Samy Ben Naceur & Mohamed Goaied & Amel Belanes, 2006. "On the Determinants and Dynamics of Dividend Policy," International Review of Finance, International Review of Finance Ltd., vol. 6(1-2), pages 1-23.
- La Porta, Rafael & Lopez-de-Silanes, Florencio & Schleifer, Andrei & Vishny, Robert, 2001.
"Investor Protection and Corporate Governance,"
Working Paper Series
rwp01-017, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Huberman, Gur, 1990. "Dividend Neutrality with Transaction Costs," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 63(1), pages S93-106, January.
- John, Kose & Williams, Joseph, 1985. " Dividends, Dilution, and Taxes: A Signalling Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1053-70, September.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Warner, Jerold B., 1979. "On financial contracting : An analysis of bond covenants," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 117-161, June.
- White, Halbert, 1980. "A Heteroskedasticity-Consistent Covariance Matrix Estimator and a Direct Test for Heteroskedasticity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(4), pages 817-38, May.
- Merton H. Miller & Franco Modigliani, 1961. "Dividend Policy, Growth, and the Valuation of Shares," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 34, pages 411.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-51, September.
- Alli, Kasim L & Khan, A Qayyum & Ramirez, Gabriel G, 1993. "Determinants of Corporate Dividend Policy: A Factorial Analysis," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 28(4), pages 523-47, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:sefpps:v:28:y:2011:i:2:p:118-135. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.