A response to Joannidès and Berland
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to provide a rejoinder to Joannidès and Berland's comment on Gurd's paper on the use of grounded theory (GT) in interpretive accounting research, re-establishing the basics of GT. Design/methodology/approach – A refutation by argument. Findings – Argues that GT is definable and the term should be used only where appropriate. Practical implications – Researchers in accounting should be careful when claiming to use GT. Credibility would be enhanced if there was a more careful explication of method in interpretive research. Originality/value – This paper continues the debate on GT and should assist both new and experienced researchers to explore the basis of their approach.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 5 (2008)
Issue (Month): 3 (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=qram Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vassili Joannidès & Nicolas Berland, 2008.
"Reactions to reading “Remaining consistent with method? An analysis of grounded theory research in accounting”: A comment on Gurd,"
Qualitative Research in Accounting & Management,
Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 5(3), pages 253-261, September.
- Vassili Joannides & N. Berland, 2008. "Reactions to Reading 'Remaining Consistent with Method? An Analysis of Grounded Theory Research in Accounting': A Comment on Gurd," Grenoble Ecole de Management (Post-Print) hal-00676581, HAL.
- Vassili Joannides & Nicolas Berland, 2008. "Reactions to reading “Remaining consistent with method? An analysis of grounded theory research in accounting”: A comment on Gurd," Post-Print halshs-00340178, HAL.
- Joannides, Vassili & Berland, Nicolas, 2008. "Reactions to reading “Remaining consistent with method? An analysis of grounded theory research in accounting”: A comment on Gurd," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/1468, Paris Dauphine University.
- Efferin, Sujoko & Hopper, Trevor, 2007. "Management control, culture and ethnicity in a Chinese Indonesian company," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 223-262, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:qrampp:v:5:y:2008:i:3:p:262-265. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Louise Lister)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.