Post-Keynesian Institutionalism after the Great Recession
This article surveys the context and contours of contemporary Post-Keynesian Institutionalism (PKI). It begins by reviewing recent criticism of conventional economics by prominent economists as well as examining, against the backdrop of the current context, important research that paved the way for PKI today. Then it sketches essential elements of PKI â€“ drawing heavily on the contributions of Hyman Minsky â€“ and identifies directions for future research. Although there is much room for further development, PKI offers a promising starting point for economics after the Great Recession.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 10 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elgaronline.com/ejeep|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Linwood F. Tauheed, 2011. "A Proposed Methodological Synthesis of Post-Keynesian and Institutional Economics," Journal of Economic Issues, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 45(4), pages 819-838, December.
- J. M. Keynes, 1937. "The General Theory of Employment," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 51(2), pages 209-223.
- Gordon, Robert Aaron, 1976. "Rigor and Relevance in a Changing Institutional Setting," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(1), pages 1-14, March.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1996.
"Uncertainty and the Institutional Structure of Capitalist Economies,"
Economics Working Paper Archive
wp_155, Levy Economics Institute.
- Hyman P. Minsky, 1998. "Uncertainty and the Institutional Structure of Capitalist Economies," Macroeconomics 9809015, EconWPA.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2010. "Macroeconomics after the Crisis: Time to Deal with the Pretense-of-Knowledge Syndrome," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 24(4), pages 85-102, Fall.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2010. "Macroeconomics after the Crisis: Time to Deal with the Pretense-of-Knowledge Syndrome," NBER Working Papers 16429, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christian Weller & Kate Sabatini, 2007. "The Financial Vulnerability of Families," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 50(3), pages 72-98, June.
- Hyman P. Minsky & Charles J. Whalen, 1997. "Economic Insecurity and the Institutional Prerequisites for Successful Capitalism," Journal of Post Keynesian Economics, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 19(2), pages 155-170, January.
- Hyman P. Minsky & Charles J. Whalen, 1996. "Economic Insecurity and the Institutional Prerequisites for Successful Capitalism," Economics Working Paper Archive wp_165, Levy Economics Institute.
- Hyman P. Minsky & Charles J. Whalen, 1998. "Economic Insecurity and the Institutional Prerequisites for Successful Capitalism," Macroeconomics 9807001, EconWPA.
- Zdravka Todorova, 2009. "Money and Households in a Capitalist Economy," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 13178, July.
- Buiter, Willem, 2009. "The unfortunate uselessness of most ’state of the art’ academic monetary economics," MPRA Paper 58407, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 06 Mar 2009.
- Minsky, Hyman P, 1969. "Private Sector Asset Management and the Effectiveness of Monetary Policy: Theory and Practice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 24(2), pages 223-238, May.
- William C. Brainard & James Tobin, 1968. "Pitfalls in Financial Model-Building," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 244, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- L. Randall Wray, 2009. "The rise and fall of money manager capitalism: a Minskian approach," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(4), pages 807-828, July.
- Eric Tymoigne, 2007. "A Hard-Nosed Look at Worsening U.S. Household Finance," Challenge, M.E. Sharpe, Inc., vol. 50(4), pages 88-111, August.
- John Marangos & Charles J. Whalen, 2011. "Evolution without fundamental change: the Washington Consensus on economic development," Chapters,in: Financial Instability and Economic Security after the Great Recession, chapter 8, pages 153-178 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- John R. Commons, 1909. "American Shoemakers, 1648–1895 A Sketch of Industrial Evolution," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 24(1), pages 39-84. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:elg:ejeepi:v:10:y:2013:i:1:p12-27. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helen Craven)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.