Error covariance matrix estimation using ridge estimator
This article considers sparse covariance matrix estimation of high dimension. In contrast to the existing methods which are based on the residual estimation from least squares estimator, we utilize residuals from ridge estimator with the adaptive thresholding technique to estimate the error covariance matrix in high dimensional factor model. By obtaining the explicit convergence rates of the ridge estimator under regularity conditions, we formulated our thresholding estimator of the true covariance matrix. Our thresholding estimator can be applied to more scenarios and is shown to have comparable rate of convergence to Fan et al. (2011).
Volume (Year): 83 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luo, June, 2012. "Asymptotic efficiency of ridge estimator in linear and semiparametric linear models," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 58-62.
- Rothman, Adam J. & Levina, Elizaveta & Zhu, Ji, 2009. "Generalized Thresholding of Large Covariance Matrices," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 104(485), pages 177-186.
- Fan, Jianqing & Fan, Yingying & Lv, Jinchi, 2008. "High dimensional covariance matrix estimation using a factor model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 186-197, November.
- Cai, Tony & Liu, Weidong, 2011. "Adaptive Thresholding for Sparse Covariance Matrix Estimation," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 106(494), pages 672-684.
- Luo, June, 2010. "The discovery of mean square error consistency of a ridge estimator," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 80(5-6), pages 343-347, March.
- Shao, Jun & Chow, Shein-Chung, 2007. "Variable screening in predicting clinical outcome with high-dimensional microarrays," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 98(8), pages 1529-1538, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:83:y:2013:i:1:p:257-264. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.