Estimating the spectral measure of an extreme value distribution
Let (X1, Y1), (X2, Y2),..., (Xn, Yn) be a random sample from a bivariate distribution function F which is in the domain of attraction of a bivariate extreme value distribution function G. This G is characterized by the extreme value indices and its spectral measure or angular measure. The extreme value indices determine both the marginals and the spectral measure determines the dependence structure. In this paper, we construct an empirical measure, based on the sample, which is a consistent estimator of the spectral measure. We also show for positive extreme value indices the asymptotic normality of the estimator under a suitable 2nd order strengthening of the bivariate domain of attraction condition.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 70 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/505572/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deheuvels, Paul, 1991. "On the limiting behavior of the Pickands estimator for bivariate extreme-value distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 429-439, November.
- Einmahl, J. H.J. & Dekkers, A. L.M. & de Haan, L., 1989. "A moment estimator for the index of an extreme-value distribution," Other publications TiSEM 81970cb3-5b7a-4cad-9bf6-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Einmahl, J. H. J. & Dehaan, L. & Huang, X., 1993.
"Estimating a Multidimensional Extreme-Value Distribution,"
Journal of Multivariate Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 35-47, October.
- Einmahl, J.H.J. & de Haan, L. & Xin, H., 1993. "Estimating a multidimensional extreme-value distribution," Other publications TiSEM 2816eb0c-8f15-4111-94f5-6, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Deheuvels, Paul & Tiago de Oliveira, José, 1989. "On the non-parametric estimation of the bivariate extreme-value distributions," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 315-323, September.
- Einmahl, John H. J., 1997.
"Poisson and Gaussian approximation of weighted local empirical processes,"
Stochastic Processes and their Applications,
Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 31-58, October.
- Einmahl, J.H.J., 1997. "Poisson and Gaussian approximation of weighted local empirical processes," Other publications TiSEM 07d934b9-2bd4-474a-bf32-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:spapps:v:70:y:1997:i:2:p:143-171. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.